Your ultimate cheese on toast or toasted (grilled) cheese sandwich

Reactions: mjd
You just love confusing us Brits, don't you :laugh: First you don't grill under a grill, but on top of a grill. Now you grill things, but in a skillet, without using, er, a grill at all. :o_o:
Once, when the oven quit working (back when I was single and in the military), I made a grilled cheese sandwich with my iron. Not only was it delicious, but it had a nice crease. :laugh:

We make oven-grilled open sandwiches quite often. The toppings vary: ham, sliced fresh tomatoes, tapenade, pesto, air-dried beef or salami/peperoni, blue cheese, goat cheese, canned pineapple slices(!), peppers, curry-creamed chicken,... you name it. We use either mature Emmental cheese or cream cheese (sliced or grated) on top.

225-250°C is a bit harsh for regular toast - but we like our cheese hot an melted (and our palates burned with boiling tomato:heat:). The smell of burning toast (and cheese) is cozy and familiar. It reminds me of summers at the countryside when grandma grilled open cheese sandwiches with (Black label) Emmental on top. She grilled them in a tiny countertop electric oven (which is still in use).
c.JPG

Photo source

Kiwi cheese on toast. In an oven under the grill/ broiler. Two pieces of bread, preferably toast bread, when browning the first side I place bacon next to bread to precook bacon. When first side is browned, take it out of the oven turn upside down, apply a thin layer of tomato reddish, then cheddar or Swiss cheese ( my preference) and start second grill. Meantime cut tomatoes in slices and also white onion slices as well. When cheese has melted add bacon onion and tomato with lots of s and p then regrill until ready. Tomatoes here ATM are the sweetest ever.
I have a big glass of milk with mine. Milk n cheese go together so well,IMHO.

Russ

grill . . .
yup. two kitchens separated by a common language.

I'm a bit more traditional - US style grilled cheese with either a sharp cheddar or fontinella - altho I veddy often venture outside all bounds . . . .

I 'fry' in a pan until the swirling around sound indicates a crispy bread surface; flip & repeat.
now . . . getting the heat 'right' so the bread toasts at the same time the cheese melts is tricky.
so, I go with getting the bread toasting "perfect" then hit the grilled sandwich with 10-15 secs on high in the microwave.
best of both worlds: perfect toasting, perfect cheese temp/melt....

Back
Top Bottom