Your ultimate cheese on toast or toasted (grilled) cheese sandwich

I put it down to the usual practice of someone liking something, making it, tweaking it, but keeping the name, or substituting in a different ingredient, but keeping the name.

Maybe but we are talking Julia Child and Jaques Pépin here. I wouldn't expect either to do that. Or at least if they did I'd expect them to explain.

I was waiting for someone to mention that. :)

I put it down to the usual practice of someone liking something, making it, tweaking it, but keeping the name, or substituting in a different ingredient, but keeping the name.

My croque madam tonight, for example, will not have chicken like Pepin's, it'll have turkey. So there's one more degree of difference. :)
I've no objection to people tweaking things...in fact I love doing it myself. I just wouldn't call it by the original name without clarification eg. I'd call it a chicken or turkey croque madame (please tell me they kept the egg?)

Maybe but we are talking Julia Child and Jaques Pépin here. I wouldn't expect either to do that. Or at least if they did I'd expect them to explain.
Yes exactly, its like saying here's a recipe for Shepherds Pie, but not mentioning that you've used pork instead of lamb.

Reactions: mjd
I've no objection to people tweaking things...in fact I love doing it myself. I just wouldn't call it by the original name without clarification eg. I'd call it a chicken or turkey croque madame (please tell me they kept the egg?)

Yes exactly, its like saying here's a recipe for Shepherds Pie, but not mentioning that you've used pork instead of lamb.

They didn't keep the egg - I just looked it up.

Reactions: mjd
They didn't keep the egg - I just looked it up.
Did you happen to watch the episode, or just look up the recipe?

That episode (I think it's called "Sandwiches At Home") is the infamous "beer episode," where JC had been asked to showcase the wine (from one of the show's sponsors), and because she didn't like being told what to do, she secreted some beer nearby, unbeknownst to anyone else, not even JP.

When it came time for the obligatory glass of wine after completing one of the sandwiches, JP said something like "It's time for a glass of wine," and she innocently replied, "I like beer with this!" - and reached behind her for her beer.

You can tell by JP's expression and his laugh that he was a little surprised by it.

One is ham, one is turkey, so I'll rename this further, and call it "croque duet." :laugh:

I didn't see anyone mention it, but how many use mayo instead of butter or oil when you make your sandwich? I haven't tried it, but I think I will after reading this article.
I've done it a couple of times - didn't notice a huge difference in the overall finished product, TBH.

But any chance to put more mayonnaise on something, I'm all for it!

I've done it a couple of times - didn't notice a huge difference in the overall finished product, TBH.

But any chance to put more mayonnaise on something, I'm all for it!

My grandmother used to eat sandwiches with mayo and strawberry preserves and my mother likes fried pork chop sandwiches with mayo. I've tried both. They were edible but not something I've felt the desire to repeat.

ETA (to stay on topic): I love cheese! ;-) I'm pondering making the open-faced sandwich Hemulen posted.

I have returned from the lab with results of the mayo-instead-of-butter experiment, and I am happy to say that I like the results. The crust is crispier than it is using oil or butter, which is nice. But, using mayo means that you don't have the buttery taste from slathering a massive amount of butter on the bread.

Phase 2 of the experiment: mixing butter and mayo on the outside of the crust.

Back
Top Bottom