Your ultimate cheese on toast or toasted (grilled) cheese sandwich

Not a good photo, and I was out of Stilton, so this was a rare roast beef and Cheddar sandwich, before the top went on. The top had a good coating of horseradish sauce.

Not sure if its common here but I've certainly eaten a toasted cheese sandwich with Heinz tomato soup.

I only heard that tomato soup and melted (grilled or otherwise) cheese sandwiches go with tomato soup about five or six years ago. As one who doesn't like the basic tomato soup, the idea doesn't appeal to me. If out at a diner and getting a grilled cheese, I'll order just about any other type of soup along with - if I order soup.

I only heard that tomato soup and melted (grilled or otherwise) cheese sandwiches go with tomato soup about five or six years ago. As one who doesn't like the basic tomato soup, the idea doesn't appeal to me. If out at a diner and getting a grilled cheese, I'll order just about any other type of soup along with - if I order soup.
I'm with you. My parents and 5 siblings ate tomato soup with grilled cheese. I detest tomato soup. Love marinara, ketchup and other tomato products but the soup is gross.

I'm with you. My parents and 5 siblings ate tomato soup with grilled cheese. I detest tomato soup. Love marinara, ketchup and other tomato products but the soup is gross.
Agreed, but not fond of ketchup (probably the sugar content) - although combined with horseradish, it makes a great shrimp dip/ Love marinara and various other tomato products and pizza toppings - and I even like tomato gazpacho if made right.

Agreed, but not fond of ketchup (probably the sugar content) - although combined with horseradish, it makes a great shrimp dip/ Love marinara and various other tomato products and pizza toppings - and I even like tomato gazpacho if made right.
That's pretty much the only way I eat ketchup, mixed with horseradish for cocktail sauce (lots and lots of horseradish!). Occasionally for a burger but we don't eat those very often, maybe 6 times a year? Much less than the average Murican, I think. And I mostly like my burgers with white cheddar and sauteed mushrooms and onions, so no ketchup on that.

Thank you for saying so. I thought I was the only person on the planet that doesn't care for tomato soup. ;-)

I dislike the "packet" tomato soups (and most packet soups for that matter), and as a kid would only eat Heinz tinned tomato soup. However, for an unknown reason, Heinz soups are not available on the shelves here in Thailand (nor Malaysia when I lived there) and when imported they become very expensive. I've relied on Campbell's condensed soups for some time now but only use them "un-cut" or "half cut" as bases for sauces, tomato soup being the base for the sambal dishes that I cook.

Sambal Udang

Add basil to your tomato soup, and perhaps a little finely grated parmesan to thicken and add a saltiness to balance any sweetness.

CD

Add basil to your tomato soup, and perhaps a little finely grated parmesan to thicken and add a saltiness to balance any sweetness.

CD
And then I would just think it was sauce for pasta, but be horribly disappointed. I have tried a few restaurant tomato soups that were similar to what you describe, but it just didn't work for me. I really wanted to like it. I just didn't.

I dislike the "packet" tomato soups (and most packet soups for that matter), and as a kid would only eat Heinz tinned tomato soup. However, for an unknown reason, Heinz soups are not available on the shelves here in Thailand (nor Malaysia when I lived there) and when imported they become very expensive. I've relied on Campbell's condensed soups for some time now but only use them "un-cut" or "half cut" as bases for sauces, tomato soup being the base for the sambal dishes that I cook.

Sambal Udang

CD
Still a bunch of no's here - and a sad fate for the basil or the parm.

I watched an old episode of "Jacques & Julia," and they were making sandwiches. The first ones they made - croque monsieur (ham and cheese) and croque madam (chicken and cheese).

Jacques made his completely in the oven, Julia grilled (by which I mean fried) hers in a skillet and finished it in the oven.

What are we having tonight? Croque Monsieur and Croque Madam!

I watched an old episode of "Jacques & Julia," and they were making sandwiches. The first ones they made - croque monsieur (ham and cheese) and croque madam (chicken and cheese).
That's the first time I've heard of using chicken in a croque monsieur/madame. Normally a croque madame is a croque monsieur with an egg on top.

That's the first time I've heard of using chicken in a croque monsieur/madame. Normally a croque madame is a croque monsieur with an egg on top.
I was waiting for someone to mention that. :)

I put it down to the usual practice of someone liking something, making it, tweaking it, but keeping the name, or substituting in a different ingredient, but keeping the name.

My croque madam tonight, for example, will not have chicken like Pepin's, it'll have turkey. So there's one more degree of difference. :)

Back
Top Bottom