Your ultimate cheese on toast or toasted (grilled) cheese sandwich

caseydog mentioned in his recipe thread that it was difficult to take good photos of grilled cheese sandwiches (toasted cheese sandwiches). We are talking about sandwiches not 'cheese on toast' or 'open grilled sandwiches' which are much more photogenic (as Yorky demonstrates above).

So, as a mini challenge, if anyone would like to try, please add your photos to this thread.

1608212469204.png
1608212487507.png
1608212517839.png
1608212548908.png
1608212573229.png

I don't have a photo of my own (I nicked this one off the web), but the for me, the ultimate toasted cheese sandwich: rare roast beef with Stilton cheese. No contest.
View attachment 52974
Perfection, the filling is classic and for that type of sarnie I too used the toast one side only method.

That looks lovely.

I'll add that, at least in my part of the country (can't speak for the rest of the US), cheese on toast isn't really a thing. I know I never encountered it until moving to the UK. Usually, you just press on and make a grilled cheese sandwich. :)
Actually, growing up in my family, it was a thing... and I've discovered a few others who do it. Maybe it is a Kentucky/Virginia region thing??? Parents nearly always made them this way.

I prefer the open faced melted cheese sandwiches. MG's looks inspiring. I cook mine in the toaster oven with any good melty cheese to hand, and odd bits of veggie, mushrooms or meat I happen to find laying about. Sometimes I will top with herbs and/or a dash of hot sauce.

Actually, growing up in my family, it was a thing... and I've discovered a few others who do it. Maybe it is a Kentucky/Virginia region thing??? Parents nearly always made them this way.

I prefer the open faced melted cheese sandwiches. MG's looks inspiring. I cook mine in the toaster oven with any good melty cheese to hand, and odd bits of veggie, mushrooms or meat I happen to find laying about. Sometimes I will top with herbs and/or a dash of hot sauce.

But here, I've only seen it referred to as "cheese toast," not "cheese on toast." Same thing, different name.

CD

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom