Anyone here a Formula 1 fan?

I am a racing fan, for sure. Not a big F1 fan. 24 hours of Lemans is on my bucket list. Monaco is indeed a classic.

I hope things are back to normal in time for Monterey car week here. The Monterey Historic Races used to be an annual event for me, before Covid.

CD

Went to the 24 hr at Lemans back in 2004. It was gifted to me from a friend that worked for Audi and I was his +1. Amazing and we were allowed into the pit area, basically it was exclusive access. I also go to Montreal with a bunch of friends. My ticket for 2020 is still good for 2022, thankfully. Is the Monterey car week near Laguna Seca? They race there, no?

Formula 1 is the granddaddy of NASCAR. F1 is also considered similar to Indy Car racing (the Indianapolis 500 is the most famous of that series), but I don't know what the distinction is between those two.

Not sure why NASCAR is so much more popular here than F1 racing or Indy Car racing.

Formula 1 is the granddaddy of NASCAR. F1 is also considered similar to Indy Car racing (the Indianapolis 500 is the most famous of that series), but I don't know what the distinction is between those two.

Not sure why NASCAR is so much more popular here than F1 racing or Indy Car racing.
Don't let an F1 fan hear you say that. :D

NASCAR and Indy, especially NAZCAR is viewed on an oval most frequently and it's what you USA gearheads are use to and enjoy. F1, WRC, Dakar where the tracks are more sprawling it isn't something that appeals to most USA viewers it seems.

For example. Mercedes Benz spend about 700,000,000.00 dollars a year to support their F1 team and have just over 1000 employees in F1. Just crazy amounts.

Last edited:
NASCAR and Indy, especially NAZCAR is viewed on an oval most frequently and it's what you USA gearheads are use to and enjoy. F1, WRC, Dakar where the tracks are more sprawling it isn't something that appeals to most USA viewers it seems.

For example. Mercedes Benz spend about 700,000,000.00 dollars a year to support their F1 team and have just over 1000 employees in F1. Just crazy amounts.

:eek:

I was a massive fan of Mario Andretti when I was a kid. Watching the Indy Car races was a real treat on a Saturday afternoon.

Now, I work for Ford Motor Company, and my big interest is in the vehicles themselves. I have worked on programs with Ford Racing, which works on supercars like the Ford GT and super-ish cars like the GT500, and also works on aftermarket modifications to the Mustang. I sometimes watch parts of races, but I'd rather spend time looking at the performance characteristics of the car itself than watch someone drive it. :laugh:

Went to the 24 hr at Lemans back in 2004. It was gifted to me from a friend that worked for Audi and I was his +1. Amazing and we were allowed into the pit area, basically it was exclusive access. I also go to Montreal with a bunch of friends. My ticket for 2020 is still good for 2022, thankfully. Is the Monterey car week near Laguna Seca? They race there, no?

Yes, it is at Laguna Seca. Fantastic track... the corkscrew is an amazing thing.

Monterey Historic Races.jpg

I have automotive press photo credentials, so I can go anywhere at races. I have owned four Audis, and I'm a big Audisport fan. I have a bunch of good shots of the ALMS Audis and their drivers.

CD

Last edited:
:eek:

I was a massive fan of Mario Andretti when I was a kid. Watching the Indy Car races was a real treat on a Saturday afternoon.

Now, I work for Ford Motor Company, and my big interest is in the vehicles themselves. I have worked on programs with Ford Racing, which works on supercars like the Ford GT and super-ish cars like the GT500, and also works on aftermarket modifications to the Mustang. I sometimes watch parts of races, but I'd rather spend time looking at the performance characteristics of the car itself than watch someone drive it. :laugh:
Very cool. love Audi's as well. I've driven the R8 during the R8 intro for dealers at Mosport park, a track in southern Ontario. I'll mention because your a fan that I got my racing licence in 1983 at Le Curcuit Mont-Tremblant in Quebec and was a Jim Russell school where all the F1 greats would go for a tune up. Never did anything with it, fat too expensive for this lad at that time.

Mario rules for sure and I'm not sure if you know because you didn't mention it that he won the Drivers championship in 1978 for F1, I remember it well.

EDIT: Want to mention that I owned a 1986 Mustang SVO, quite the car up here in Canada, very few dealers had them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom