Anyone here a Formula 1 fan?

NASCAR and Indy, especially NAZCAR is viewed on an oval most frequently and it's what you USA gearheads are use to and enjoy. F1, WRC, Dakar where the tracks are more sprawling it isn't something that appeals to most USA viewers it seems.

For example. Mercedes Benz spend about 700,000,000.00 dollars a year to support their F1 team and have just over 1000 employees in F1. Just crazy amounts.

Indycars are the most similar to F1. They have to race road courses and ovals, so they are not going to be as good on road courses as an F1 car. It is a compromise.

Your last comment is why I don't follow F1 that much. F1 is a money competition more than a race. Guys like Lewis Hamilton are amazing drivers, but if they are not in this year's "right" car, they don't have a chance.

As for NASCAR, as a spectator it is boring (to me). But, NASCAR drivers have some big cajones. Those cars are pure horsepower, with no electronic aids at all. 200 MPH in a car with 1960s technology separates the boys from the men.

BTW, we here in Texas have a pretty f-ing good F1 track with the Circuit of the Americas.

CD

Last edited:
Indycars are the most similar to F1. They have to race road courses and ovals, so they are not going to be as good on road courses as an F1 car. It is a compromise.

Your last comment is why I don't follow F1 that much. F1 is a money competition more than a race. Guys like Lewis Hamilton are amazing drivers, but it they are not in this year's "right" car, they don't have a chance.

As for NASCAR, as a spectator it is boring (to me). But, NASCAR drivers have some big cajones. Those cars are pure horsepower, with no electronic aids at all. 200 MPH in a car with 1960s technology separates the boys from the men.

BTW, we here in Texas have a pretty f-ing good F1 track with the Circuit of the Americas.

CD
To the layman F1 can appear boring, but if your a fan the 10 teams are unique and the battles and personalities make midfield and even backfield fighting very exciting. Fans of F1 generally don't get caught up in who wins too much.

F1 has a restriction of 1.6 litres hybrid engines and have around 1000hp with no driver aids.

My good friend Tom has been to the F1 race at Circuit of the Americas twice. Loved it. cheers

Very cool. love Audi's as well. I've driven the R8 during the R8 intro for dealers at Mosport park, a track in southern Ontario. I'll mention because your a fan that I got my racing licence in 1983 at Le Curcuit Mont-Tremblant in Quebec and was a Jim Russell school where all the F1 greats would go for a tune up. Never did anything with it, fat too expensive for this lad at that time.

Mario rules for sure and I'm not sure if you know because you didn't mention it that he won the Drivers championship in 1978 for F1, I remember it well.

EDIT: Want to mention that I owned a 1986 Mustang SVO, quite the car up here in Canada, very few dealers had them.

Very familiar with the R8. Audi loaned me one for a week.

R8Garage.jpg

I also know Mario.

MarioAndretti.jpg

Oh, I had a 1985 Mustang, but with the 5.0 Litre V8.

CD

Last edited:
I was going to ask, what is Formula 1? I was at first guessing it to be a men's grooming product.

So, I guess not! :giggle:

This reminds me of a time when with family and friends all gathered to watch Formula 1, I asked 'so who's playing in attack?'

Reply: ------------------- :facepalm:

'OK got it, see you later guys!' :laugh:

Super Mario was one of (I think) only 3 drivers to will in all three racing series: F1, Indy Car, and NASCAR.

One thing that should not be debatable: Ford vs Ferrari was a phenomenally good movie. Even my wife and her mom liked it, and neither one are even remotely gearheads. :laugh:
Loved that Movie. Lee iacocca was never at lemans but won't hold that against the movie.

Haha.....you rock brother. I owned an allroad, loved it very much. Yeah, Mario is the real deal.

i loved my allroad, too. I had it for 8 years. It only had a little over 60K miles on it when I sold it, but with the twin-turbo V6 and the air suspension, it was a ticking time bomb. When the original warranty ran out, I bought an extended warranty for $3600. They paid out almost $6,000 in claims. I couldn't extend the warranty any further, so it had to go.

CD

Super Mario was one of (I think) only 3 drivers to will in all three racing series: F1, Indy Car, and NASCAR.

One thing that should not be debatable: Ford vs Ferrari was a phenomenally good movie. Even my wife and her mom liked it, and neither one are even remotely gearheads. :laugh:

I was at Monterey about 5 years ago, and bumped into a friend from Texas. He was all excited, and said, "You gotta' see what I just bought (at the RM/Sotheby's auction). So my buddy and I went with him to the parking garage where the sold cars were, and he shows us his original Ford GT40. :eek:

Then he took us out for ice cream. :laugh:

CD

i loved my allroad, too. I had it for 8 years. It only had a little over 60K miles on it when I sold it, but with the twin-turbo V6 and the air suspension, it was a ticking time bomb. When the original warranty ran out, I bought an extended warranty for $3600. They paid out almost $6,000 in claims. I couldn't extend the warranty any further, so it had to go.

CD
Yeah, the suspension was it's Achilles heel, never had that problem but they are well known for it. The twin turbo were pretty good but it you had to replace one, you had to replace both....mega bucks.

I was at Monterey about 5 years ago, and bumped into a friend from Texas. He was all excited, and said, "You gotta' see what I just bought (at the RM/Sotheby's auction). So my buddy and I went with him to the parking garage where the sold cars were, and he shows us his original Ford GT40. :eek:

Then he took us out for ice cream. :laugh:

CD
GT40 Gulf Livery, yeah, that works for me.

Hopefully not burgundy.

No. It was dark the only time I saw it, with bad lighting. It was silver, and I want to say it had a slight warm cast, but the warmth could have been due to the lighting.

CD

There's also something called the triple crown of motor racing which is winning the 24 hours of Le Mans, the Monaco GP and Indianapolis 500. Graham Hill a British driver is the only driver to ever accomplish that. A. J. Foyt and Fernando Alonzo a Spanish driver won 2. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom