Favorite Spices

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
11:46 PM
I did a search and nobody seems to have run this topic as a thread. We all likely have favorite spices, especially bearing on the fact that they can be expensive. I tend to like the capsaicin or peppers:

Cayenne, paprika, chili powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper, white pepper, Whole Anaheim, Serrano, Habanero, Pablano and Chili peppers, Green spices include Oregano, Cilantro, Thyme, Rosemary and Fennel. I don't like dry garlic and onion flakes or powder and buy them whole. Garlic cloves, Shallots, White and Yellow Sweet Onions, Scallions, Chives, Pearls and Bermudas. Anything else is special purposed. The above are favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now, I like chillies too - the hotter the better! Naga is my favourite.

But - you are using the term spices to refer to both herbs and spices. I know this is a common confusion but spices are basically the seeds, roots or pods of plants. Herbs are the leaves and stems. See here: Do you know the difference between a Herb and a Spice?

We also have a monthly spice challenge with a prize on offer: The Spice Challenge.

I did a search and nobody seems to have run this topic as a thread.
I suspect you used the American spelling of favourite in your search term. With us being a UK site, we tend to remember the need to either avoid the word completely or search under both spellings. You'll get used to it.

Under herbs we have the following

Under spices

And finally under both
It's really a case of knowing what to search under.

Now to answer your question.
If I go with only spices then it's cumin, coriander, sweet/noble paprika, cayenne pepper and turmeric. If I go with herbs then it's (all fresh) thyme, oregano, parsley, rosemary and basil.

Chilli, cumin, turmeric and coriander seeds are my favourite spices. They are the ones I use most of so buy large packs instead of tiny bottles. Coriander, parsley, mint and basil are my favourite herbs. I use living herbs in warmer weather, and dried ones in winter.

@flyinglentris:

The Mediterranean Dried or Fresh Herbs:
Oregano, Basil, Savory (both types), thyme, Italian flat leaf parsley, & rosemary ..
Toledo, Spain or Iranian Saffron threads.

Spices: Spanish Smoked Paprika or normally referred to as Pimentón .. Spanish Cayenne dried or Fresh .. Cinnamon sticks ..

Last edited:
I tend to go with the flow for the cuisine I'm preparing. Cumin, seeds freshly toasted and ground, is up there at the top for spices. Fresh herbs are the same, but getting them for some cuisines can be difficult, if not impossible. I got tired of trying to find kaffir lime leaves and fresh galangal, so I now have a kaffir lime tree and grow galangal. Yes I like Thai food!:hungry: I also got intrigued after seeing Australian finger limes, so I now have a tree.
What I really want are some of the regional chilis used in Mexican cuisine that are simply not available commercially.

I got tired of trying to find kaffir lime leaves and fresh galangal, so I now have a kaffir lime tree and grow galangal.

How lucky you are to be able to grow kaffir lime. Luckily I can get lime leaves them fresh from the supermarket or (as I normally do) order them on-line (frozen). They freeze brilliantly. Galangal is easy to get in supermarkets here.

This gives me another flashback to my days in Eritrea. Wandering about the markets of Assab one day, I came across a shop selling turmeric. I bought a bag large enough to last me for the remaining 18 months or so of my "incarceration" and paid something like 50 pence for it. Result!

How lucky you are to be able to grow kaffir lime. Luckily I can get lime leaves them fresh from the supermarket or (as I normally do) order them on-line (frozen). They freeze brilliantly. Galangal is easy to get in supermarkets here.
You're lucky. I only seem to be able to get dried kaffir lime leaves and galangal paste from Waitrose (which is an awful journey from my house), and Tesco and Sainsburys only do dried kaffir lime leaves. Galangal does not get a mention. Like we said before, availability obviously varies from area to area.

You're lucky. I only seem to be able to get dried kaffir lime leaves and galangal paste from Waitrose (which is an awful journey from my house), and Tesco and Sainsburys only do dried kaffir lime leaves. Galangal does not get a mention. Like we said before, availability obviously varies from area to area.

Waitrose does fresh lime leaves here and in Saffron Walden - but not all the time. The frozen ones are great. A flat packet of fresh lime leaves which takes no space in the freezer. I'll try to find a link - its ages since I bought any as they last forever!

Waitrose does fresh lime leaves here and in Saffron Walden - but not all the time. The frozen ones are great. A flat packet of fresh lime leaves which takes no space in the freezer. I'll try to find a link - its ages since I bought any as they last forever!
I've had a look online. No fresh or frozen anywhere around here.

I also got intrigued after seeing Australian finger limes, so I now have a tree.
Please show us a picture...it's so cool that you have a tree in your yard that's productive with something so interesting:

Finger-Lime-Tree-450w-.jpg

I'd guess your climate is similar to what the limes like. This is harvesting season, isn't it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom