How big is your kitchen?

I love my kitchen....I think its probably my favourite room in the house. When we bought the house a couple of years ago a big kichen-diner was one of the things we wouldn't compromise on because its such a sociable space. The compromise with this house is that the kitchen is north-facing so despite the large window if its gloomy outside then it doesn't get a lot of natural light - hence the white surfaces to keep it bright in there.

This picture is taken from the dining room end and just out of the picture to the right are the french doors into the garden - in the summer (well, when the sun shines!) we basically have the doors open and live in the kitchen and garden. I'd love eventually to replace the doors with bifolds to really open it up.

I love your kitchen. I am very jealous of your kitchen!

I love my kitchen....I think its probably my favourite room in the house. When we bought the house a couple of years ago a big kichen-diner was one of the things we wouldn't compromise on because its such a sociable space. The compromise with this house is that the kitchen is north-facing so despite the large window if its gloomy outside then it doesn't get a lot of natural light - hence the white surfaces to keep it bright in there.

This picture is taken from the dining room end and just out of the picture to the right are the french doors into the garden - in the summer (well, when the sun shines!) we basically have the doors open and live in the kitchen and garden. I'd love eventually to replace the doors with bifolds to really open it up.
tahg0w.jpg
Your kitchen is beautiful!

Finally got some (relatively) clean shots:
IMG_1716.JPG

This is the 'action' end. The big housekeepers cupboard on the left doubles as store cupboard and crockery store. The corridor beyond has more storage and bigger stuff like dough machine, sous vide etc. Opposite (out of vision) is what is referred to above as the scullery - wachine machine, sink etc. Further back is the 'back passage' with outside doors and another room which is in the process of becoming a proper pantry when I get to finishing it. The previous owners son was into drumming, so they had the room soundproofed for him, inadvertently making it well insulated at the same time, so it stays nice and cool.

The other end:
#
IMG_1719.JPG

Leading to:
IMG_1718.JPG

The kitchen table, where the best meals are eaten. To the left are French windows to the garden - nice at this time of year. The window in the back wall is actually an old serving hatch to the dining room, which we seldom use. When we moved in, this room was a seperate summer kitchen with its own sink and cooker - the main kitchen had was only really used in the winter due to the pain of firing up the old and very inefficient Aga.

I love your stove.
Very stupid question. Where do you keep cold foods?
Thank you :). It's great, apart from the grill which isn't height adjustable, thus totally useless apart from grilling very thin rashers of bacon.

There is a tall fridge hidden behind the wall in the middle photo.

Thank you :). It's great, apart from the grill which isn't height adjustable, thus totally useless apart from grilling very thin rashers of bacon.

There is a tall fridge hidden behind the wall in the middle photo.
Thanks.

Finally got some (relatively) clean shots:
View attachment 9405
This is the 'action' end. The big housekeepers cupboard on the left doubles as store cupboard and crockery store. The corridor beyond has more storage and bigger stuff like dough machine, sous vide etc. Opposite (out of vision) is what is referred to above as the scullery - wachine machine, sink etc. Further back is the 'back passage' with outside doors and another room which is in the process of becoming a proper pantry when I get to finishing it. The previous owners son was into drumming, so they had the room soundproofed for him, inadvertently making it well insulated at the same time, so it stays nice and cool.

The other end:
#View attachment 9406

Leading to:
View attachment 9407
The kitchen table, where the best meals are eaten. To the left are French windows to the garden - nice at this time of year. The window in the back wall is actually an old serving hatch to the dining room, which we seldom use. When we moved in, this room was a seperate summer kitchen with its own sink and cooker - the main kitchen had was only really used in the winter due to the pain of firing up the old and very inefficient Aga.

I am so jealous now. You have about 20 times the cupboard space that I have, let alone work surfaces! :cry: I dream of having space (spaces) such as this - but I know it will never be. So, back to my tiny galley kitchen... I had a new kitchen installed a few years ago. Its smart enough but I still don't like it. I feel cramped all the time and it is also rather dark.

I suppose I'll have to post a snap...

Last edited:
I am so jealous now. You have about 20 times the cupboard space that I have, let alone work surfaces! :cry: I dream of having space (spaces) such as this - but I know it will never be. So, back to my tiny galley kitchen... I had a new kitchen installed a few years ago. Its smart enough but I still don't like it. I feel cramped all the time and it is also rather dark.

I suppose I'll have to post a snap...
As is often said, it's not the size that matters!

OK - I want @Yorky's house and garden, @epicuric's kitchen and dining spaces, pantry and appliances and @MrsDangermouse 's excellent style. :D
Awww thanks :love: After living in a multitude of magnolia rental houses, I couldn't wait to inject some colour into our own place. You can't see it in the picture, but the purple glass splashbacks also have a subtle rainbow sparkle in them. That was actually hubby's choice - I wasn't sure whether it would be OTT but in fact it works really well.

I'm loving all the photos of people's kitchens (and beyond)....such variety of sizes and styles. But the one thing I bet they all have in common....they're well used for creating delicious food :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom