Plans for today (2024)

When you have to do your own tax returns, you know NOTHING and they know everything, so if they can screw you - they will.
That’s why we have a tax accountant do ours. I’ve never done my own taxes for as long as I’ve had to file, and when I was single and filing, it literally was filling out just a few simple lines - a single-page form.

Now, of course, the printout of our submitted taxes is nearly an inch thick!

Off to Ávila (in Spain for those not in the loop), staying at a hotel which is in an outbuilding of a catholic church next to a working monastery. Apparently Ávila is known for still having its medieval walls surrounding it and has more romanesque and gothic churches than any other part of Spain - wikipedia maybe unreliable but it's handy ay! 😂

So that car is almost packed. My neighbour comes around at 9am to go over what needs to happen with the chooks and then we head off inland towards Parkes where the radio telescope named Murriyang can be found.

The inky thing I still need to do is to shower before we leave because the campground is very basic and has no water.

Yeah, it ain’t cheap, but it’s worth it. We have our withholdings fine-tuned so that we get a refund that just about covers the cost (plus a bit more for a nice lunch). :laugh:
But you said your accountant isn't very sharp. That could lead to issues.

But you said your accountant isn't very sharp. That could lead to issues.
MrsT goes through everything, so that’s ok (that’s why it took two hours to sign for our taxes yesterday - she went over every single piece of paper and had him correct the bad bits on the spot).

Besides, I’ve never been worried about being audited, we don’t make anywhere near enough to make it worth their while. I just read an article from AARP about income levels and audit rates, and we’re in the 0.0001% category, something like that anyway. :laugh:

If anything, I expect him to call on Tuesday and tell us our extension’s been filed, or he lost our check, or asking when we’re going to come in and sign. I have to admit, the guy’s a hoot, otherwise.

I'm planning on going out and cutting and painting some 2x4s in a bit. We have an odd shaped window that doesn't have hurricane shutters. The last time we had to shutter the house, which was in 2020 or earlier, Craig put plywood over it and accidentally drilled into the glass so the whole window had to be replaced afterwards. The window is getting framed in a rectangle with the 2x4s, with direct mount shutter hardware.

Given that this is forecasted to be a very active hurricane season and the steering currents have changed, La Nina vs El Nino, I decided better safe than sorry. So, shutters are bought, plus supplies to protect that window.

I already prepped most of dinner tonight and all of tomorrow's dinner, which will roast right before I put in scallop potatoes for tonight's dinner due to a fairly large temperature difference.

Beautiful day today. Cut the front yard. Just doing several small things. Organized a storage shed to make it more practical. Really kind of a lazy day. PBS cooking shows are on. Recording the ones I want to watch later today. No dinner plans. Wife is out of town. Don’t know what time she will be back. We have some gift cards we will use and go out to eat when she gets home

MrsT goes through everything, so that’s ok (that’s why it took two hours to sign for our taxes yesterday - she went over every single piece of paper and had him correct the bad bits on the spot).
Besides, I’ve never been worried about being audited, we don’t make anywhere near enough to make it worth their while. I just read an article from AARP about income levels and audit rates, and we’re in the 0.0001% category, something like that anyway. :laugh:
If anything, I expect him to call on Tuesday and tell us our extension’s been filed, or he lost our check, or asking when we’re going to come in and sign. I have to admit, the guy’s a hoot, otherwise.
It's that last bit that would make me look for a new accountant though. I do get the part about the low audit rate, me too.

I got woke up by the barking dogs again, so between that and the bad weather we had yesterday I have a bit of a headache. Not feeling very motivated. Hubby's aunt is flying in and staying with the in-laws for a few days so we are going over there tonight for pizza with some of the other family members. I really don't feel like going, honestly, we are going out to dinner with the aunt and in-laws tomorrow night, but I don't want her to be offended. I do love her, she is really great and fun to be around. It's just me that's not feeling fun today but I will fake it.

Now I am going to my DH's lunch and work on my taxes a little. I use TaxAct software so it's really not too hard. I have to use the self-employed version so it does cost more than some of the other ones, but cheaper than an accountant would be. I will have it all finished and ready to squeeze out some money on Monday, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom