Status on MorningGlory

I'm just back home. A big thanks for all the well wishes. Its been truly horrible and still is, I won't pretend. It is a bad femur break and involved 2 hours surgery. If anyone knows anything about how a broken femur feels then they will know the pain when they move you is beyond anything. Childbirth is a walk in the park by comparison. I'm sure my screams could be heard in the whole of Maidstone when they moved me to the ambulance and then the whole hospital as I was moved again, despite pain relief.

This is the only time I've ever been away from the forum for more than a few days since 2015. But I didn't feel I could contribute anything and thought I should focus on getting better. Anyway - I hate typing on mobile phones which is all I had! Its going to be a while before I'm back to any kind of normal and right now i'm just very very tired. This is also first time I haven't read every single post that members have made. I simply can't catch up but I've asked TastyReuben to alert me to any juicy gossip particularly interesting posts.

For those curious, I simply fell asleep in a dining chair at 1 am in the morning and fell sideways onto a hard floor. I am now sitting in a chair with arms.
I'll try to log in a bit more now. I miss you all and I miss not being able to cook (or even have the energy to do so). I know things will gradually get better if I'm sensible. Coping with my partner who has dementia is a whole other story and I'll try to add something to the care givers thread.

Thanks again for all your good wishes.

So happy you are finally home MG, as you can tell, we have all been concerned. I know the recovery will be slow, it inevitably is with such injuries and the loss of strength that follows, again we will all be here for support when you need it.

Now for the interest in gore: I take it you've had some metalwork fitted; pin or an external frame? :hug:

I'm just back home. A big thanks for all the well wishes. Its been truly horrible and still is, I won't pretend. It is a bad femur break and involved 2 hours surgery. If anyone knows anything about how a broken femur feels then they will know the pain when they move you is beyond anything. Childbirth is a walk in the park by comparison. I'm sure my screams could be heard in the whole of Maidstone when they moved me to the ambulance and then the whole hospital as I was moved again, despite pain relief.

This is the only time I've ever been away from the forum for more than a few days since 2015. But I didn't feel I could contribute anything and thought I should focus on getting better. Anyway - I hate typing on mobile phones which is all I had! Its going to be a while before I'm back to any kind of normal and right now i'm just very very tired. This is also first time I haven't read every single post that members have made. I simply can't catch up but I've asked TastyReuben to alert me to any juicy gossip particularly interesting posts.

For those curious, I simply fell asleep in a dining chair at 1 am in the morning and fell sideways onto a hard floor. I am now sitting in a chair with arms.
I'll try to log in a bit more now. I miss you all and I miss not being able to cook (or even have the energy to do so). I know things will gradually get better if I'm sensible. Coping with my partner who has dementia is a whole other story and I'll try to add something to the care givers thread.

Thanks again for all your good wishes.
So sorry to hear you've been in so much pain, but very glad you're back home! :hug:have you got any help?

So happy you are finally home MG, as you can tell, we have all been concerned. I know the recovery will be slow, it inevitably is with such injuries and the loss of strength that follows, again we will all be here for support when you need it.

Now for the interest in gore: I take it you've had some metalwork fitted; pin or an external frame? :hug:

Apparently there is a metal rod fitted down the middle of the bone (eek) and attached somehow to the pelvis at top and knee at bottom. I don't really want to know more than that. It was a spiral fracture. I've 4 places where incisions were made which have dressings on them. My leg is badly swollen and feels sort of 'tight'. Walking with a zimmer is snail's pace.

I feel like such an idiot as I've fallen off that chair before and should have replaced it with a 'chair with arms' long ago.

So sorry to hear you've been in so much pain, but very glad you're back home! :hug:have you got any help?

Daughter pops by in the evening and otherwise I have short term voluntary support for a few hours a day. Today the supporter decided to run the washing machine on a high temperature for a few towels. I have a mountain of washing and it could be done in a minimum of two loads. She seemed shocked that I'd mix cotton towels with duvet covers and clothes! I just bung anything in at 40 degrees. She took partner for walk though. That was more important.

Glad you are back home Morning Glory!

My brother broke his femur in the mid-1990s (tobogganing accident). It was very painful for him, but he made a full recovery and has no long-term effects, other than a couple of faded scars. He had the external frame, looked quite weird with a big metal bar sticking out of his leg!

I’m glad you have a bit of help - don’t be afraid to call in favours. When someone says, “is there anything I can do to help?”, don’t be afraid to say “yes, it would be very helpful if you could drop off some frozen chili” or whatever. Concentrate on resting and getting better.

Today the supporter decided to run the washing machine on a high temperature for a few towels. I have a mountain of washing and it could be done in a minimum of two loads. She seemed shocked that I'd mix cotton towels with duvet covers and clothes!
It's very strange watching how others do things, isn't it?

All my bedding is 100% cotton, so to me, it's a no brainer that 100% cotton towels, face clothes, tea towels and the hand knitted dish cloths (also 100% cotton) can be washed together with the bedding, though I tend to do them on the allergy wash which is a 60° wash but that's because of my asthma.

I generally put my 100% cotton clothing into a separate wash simply because they are done on a 40° wash and I need not worry about colours running that way, but if I only have 1 load of everything combined, then I'll run it at 40°. But I can't do more than a ¾ load because we don't have the water pressure to get enough water into the washing machine in the time span it allows before it decides to error and claim insufficient water. That and I have to turn the extra rinse button on so that we do actually get all of the soap out in the allotted time because it's pure rain water that we're on, so as soft as you can get, and with insufficient water pressure to get all the soap out and extra rinse is very definitely needed.

She took partner for walk though. That was more important.
I'm glad. Hopefully that will help and get him back into his routine for you. I'm guessing he's been a touch unsettled with recent events.

Daughter pops by in the evening and otherwise I have short term voluntary support for a few hours a day. Today the supporter decided to run the washing machine on a high temperature for a few towels. I have a mountain of washing and it could be done in a minimum of two loads. She seemed shocked that I'd mix cotton towels with duvet covers and clothes! I just bung anything in at 40 degrees. She took partner for walk though. That was more important.

I don't separate anything, it all goes in at 30 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom