The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you can find fresh local at a farmer's market this time of year.
1690573143846.png

Our local farmer's market has them on sale for cheap!

Those little round green crisp aubergines (often known as Thai aubergines) are almost a totally different species from soft and seductive purple aubergine. I tried cooking them too I seem to remember and wasn't sold on them. But then I cooked them until soft and they were quite good:

Recipe - Curried Thai aubergine (not an entry)

1690575923754.png

Last edited:
Those little round green crisp aubergines (often known as Thai aubergines) are almost a totally different species from soft and seductive purple aubergine. I tried cooking them too I seem to remember and wasn't sold on them. But then I cooked them until soft and they were quite good:

Recipe - Curried Thai aubergine (not an entry)

View attachment 102955
They almost look like the texture of a cooked pepper. Do they taste different than the purple? I really don't like those purple eggplants. Too starchy and lacking in flavor (IMO).

Curious that you say that, because aubergines are one of the LEAST starchy vegetables available. 137 calories per pound. But there's evidently something about them that disagrees with a lot of people - including 2 of my sons.
The ones I had were definitely not good.

They almost look like the texture of a cooked pepper. Do they taste different than the purple? I really don't like those purple eggplants. Too starchy and lacking in flavor (IMO).

They did taste more like peppers I think, if I recall: a 'fresher' taste.

But aubergine (as karadekoolaid has commented) is not at all starchy. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The thing most people who don't like aubergine seem to dislike is the texture. They can become oily and slippery if incorrectly cooked.

Does fresh eggplant hold ok? I’m going to buy some tomorrow, but I don’t know what I want to do with them yet, and since it’s a 45-minute drive to the good market, I want to get all my eggplant in one go.

Does fresh eggplant hold ok? I’m going to buy some tomorrow, but I don’t know what I want to do with them yet, and since it’s a 45-minute drive to the good market, I want to get all my eggplant in one go.
From what I remember, yes, keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom