The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got one coming up today and another in the works. Nothing special, but only because I want to make msmofet feel welcome. :wink:

Otherwise, I would have made an elaborate eggplant stuffed with a selection of other eggplant dishes (sort of like turducken, so I guess that’d be an eggplanten :laugh: ), presented in a fairytale spun-honey birdcage kind of thing.

But, nah, I didn’t want to run everyone else off! :laugh:
Bet no-one wants to go on after you at a gig 😆

Otherwise, I would have made an elaborate eggplant stuffed with a selection of other eggplant dishes (sort of like turducken, so I guess that’d be an eggplanten :laugh: ), presented in a fairytale spun-honey birdcage kind of thing.
Gimme a break! You were going to wrap eggplant parmigiana in a pizza, right?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok, first entry, no surprise, as it’s probably the most commonly though of eggplant dish in the US:

Recipe - Eggplant Pecorino

Lots to say about this one.

First, it’s the first time I’ve either cooked or eaten eggplant. Never really saw the need before, as I always saw it portrayed as a substitute for pasta or meat, and since I’m not gluten-intolerant or a vegetarian, I felt like it never really applied to me.

Second, I transcribed this from an ATK/CC video, so I had to guess at a couple of spots, but I refuse to register an online account with them again, just to get a season’s/series’ worth of recipes. IMO, they’re borderline predatory on their website.

Third, I think my eggplants were larger than theirs - I didn’t bother weighing them at the store because they were all roughly the same size anyway. That meant I didn’t get the four smaller stacks the video so beautifully displays, but it worked out.

Some in-process pics:

IMG_5225.jpeg
IMG_5227.jpeg
IMG_5228.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5230.jpeg

Another thing…in the video, Brian says “…a half-cup of grated pecorino” between the layers - I just grated a bunch and loosely measured by volume - not cheesy enough, especially since throughout the video, both Brian and Julia yap on and on about how this is crazy with the cheese. I put it weight measures for the cheese, and I think it could still use more.

I used a red onion because that’s what I had on hand.

On to the final product:

It did come out soupier than I expected, as theirs didn’t, but such is life. It didn’t really change the taste much, and it wasn’t swimming in it, just a little loose.

Taste was fine, mostly dictated by the sauce, which is excellent and robust. If you’re a sauce fiend, you’d likely enjoy this.

Texture…not much different than a simple cheese lasagna made with pasta noodles…and there’s the rub - why would I make this, which is frankly a helluva lot more work and mess, instead of a simple cheese lasagna?

I suppose there are health benefits, but then the cheese still gets in the way of that, I think.

Overall, then, it’s in that odd category of “Tastes Good but Won’t Make Again.” 🤷‍♂️

One last thing that made me laugh: being in the US, I find we’re frequently schooled on the way we adopt recipes from other cultures and give them “incorrect” names. They mention in this video that the recipes comes from an Italian-American restaurant in Westlake, Ohio (just up the road from you, JAS_OH1), and that it’s listed on the menu as eggplant parmesan, despite the fact that there’s absolutely no parmesan in it - it’s replaced with the pecorino.

When he ask the Italian-American owner of the restaurant about that, she said that when she would travel back home to Italy to visit her family, that’s what her family did - they made it with pecorino, which was what they used in her area, but still called it eggplant parmesan, because that’s just what everyone knew it as. I like it! 👍

it’s listed on the menu as eggplant parmesan, despite the fact that there’s absolutely no parmesan in it
It's probably because it came from Parma, in Emilia Romagna. "Parmigiano" is an adjective describing the city (but I don't need to tell you that! :laugh: :laugh: ) as well as the cheese

Last edited:
Interesting that you say "it's not much different from a cheese lasagna"
Haven't tasted your dish, of course, but it shouldn't be like that. The flavour of the aubergine should be there.

Interesting that you say "it's not much different from a cheese lasagna"
Haven't tasted your dish, of course, but it shouldn't be like that. The flavour of the aubergine should be there.
:eek:

First, it’s the first time I’ve either cooked or eaten eggplant. Never really saw the need before, as I always saw it portrayed as a substitute for pasta or meat, and since I’m not gluten-intolerant or a vegetarian, I felt like it never really applied to me.
Ya whaaa?! 😂

The amount of liquid wouldn't be my cup of tea but I like the look of it. When I was looking at recipes earlier I did read that the best way to get a non eggplant eater to like eggplant was to "parmesan it, like we Americans like to do"
Not sure what that means but I did like the explanation of why they're not called aubergine in America, they said it was because the first arrival of aubergine from Europe was a pale round vegetable resembling an egg.

It's probably because it came from Parma, in Emilia Romagna. "Parmigiano" is an adjective describing the city (but I don't need to tell you that! :laugh: :laugh: ) as well as the cheese
We have a Parma, Ohio about 25 minutes from me.

The flavour of the aubergine should be there.
In my exhaustive 30 minutes of eggplant research (making me an internet expert :laugh: ), the overriding characteristic mentioned again and again is that eggplant is bland on its own and depends on absorbing the flavors of whatever it’s cooked with in order to taste like anything.

In my exhaustive 30 minutes of eggplant research (making me an internet expert :laugh: ), the overriding characteristic mentioned again and again is that eggplant is bland on its own and depends on absorbing the flavors of whatever it’s cooked with in order to taste like anythin
Wrong. Aubergines have a distinct flavour. If they had no flavour, what would be the point of dishes in India, Iran, Lebanon, Georgia, Greece, Thailand, Indonesia, France, Italy and Spain?

So I’m not entering this yet as it needs refining. Overall it’s the closest I’ve come to achieving aubergine joy for everyone at the table, everyone took a piece to taste and went back for more which is a massive win in a house with two people who don’t like aubergine, but IMO it needs some tweaking.

It was based on a 20 second BBC clip which had no recipe underneath, it simply stated as the video played it was olive oil, soy sauce and honey so I went off that.
I added a thin drizzle of sesame oil at the end and sprinkled black and white sesame seeds over the top. I also peeled the aubergines before roasting them as I had a hunch it’s the contrasting chew of the skin and softness of the flesh that put them off.

The revelation for me was the using of a pastry brush to apply the oil, it gave good control on how much oil was used.
Aubergine are such sponges it’s hard to know when there’s too much and mixing it in a bowl with oil always results in some heavily oiled and some not. Skipping the oil also isn’t an option as they do not roast well without it.

Aubergines in Honey, Soy Sauce, Toasted sesame oil and seeds.

IMG_0747.jpeg

Coated and uncooked.

IMG_0750.jpeg

Roasted

IMG_0768.jpeg

Ready to serve.

These are soft aubergines with a very tasty caramelised soy sweet and salty flavour. I think they would be better not quite as soft so I’m going to experiment with flouring them and using different cooking methods, it’s good, I’m just sure it could be better.

In my exhaustive 30 minutes of eggplant research (making me an internet expert :laugh: ), the overriding characteristic mentioned again and again is that eggplant is bland on its own and depends on absorbing the flavors of whatever it’s cooked with in order to taste like anything.

I'll add to the 'wrong'. They have a subtle taste which I suspect is eclipsed if you add a lot of cheese - especially parmesan. They aren't simply a substitute for lasagne (although they can be used that way of course).

Cooked aubergine has a mild musky flavour which is almost 'mushroomy'. They have a lovely creamy texture when braised. They go particularly well with sweet, sour and salty ingredients as well as aromatic spices and chilli. And of course, if you char them whole the smoky taste of the flesh is divine.

One of the best dishes I ever tasted was cooked by my partner, shortly after we met. He was a fantastic cook and much better than me in those days. It was a Chinese style braised aubergine dish with soy sauce, chillies and spring onions. I've tried to replicate it without success and as he now has dementia he can't give me any clues about other ingredients. I may have another attempt for the challenge.

I've made and photographed my first entry, which features eggs. They are another great bedfellow for aubergines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom