The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight days to go and just five recipes…I’m betting we can do better than that! Let’s see those dishes!

Recipe - Ms. Mofet's Eggplant Parmesan

eggplant_parmesan_070311_3_P1080706.JPG

Eight days to go and just five recipes…I’m betting we can do better than that! Let’s see those dishes!
Have to say I'm a little disappointed. Maybe the challenge was too much...
I've made three different aubergine dishes today. Nothing Indian, either!

The last time we had aubergines as the ingredient for the challenge was in 2017 and we had 8 entries. That was quite a lot for those days. Now we have more participating cooks on the forum so I don't really understand the lack of entries. Anyway, I will attempt to fill my quota of 6 entries. I've far more ideas than those 6...

Maybe its worth mentioning that entries don't have to be a main course - it could be a little canapé, tapas, a side dish or a starter.

Last edited:
a recipe fame is exceedingly dependent on the proclivity of the diner to "loving eggplant"
this a a peeled eggplant, sliced,
DSC_2060.JPG

egg wash, seasoned flour - OMG! salt pepper touch of cayenne . . .

for a full dog wag, egg wash + dredge, allow to dry 20 minutes on a rack. "re-dip" egg wash+dredge then pan fry for color and pretty - but not over cooked to mush...
DSC_2057.JPG

DSC_2058.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

bit of sauce on the pan bottom + fried rounds
DSC_0128.JPG

sliced provolone cheese
DSC_0129.JPG

bake to nicely brown & bubble
well . . . only six pix, so use your imagination....

keep it simple folks - egg plant does not well take to forty herbs and spices . .

I tend to agree and most of my entries use/will use only a few ingredients. However, there are exceptions and I'm making two such - from India and China. Complex spices can work well with aubergine.

Are you going to enter a dish CookieMonster?

keep it simple folks - egg plant does not well take to forty herbs and spices .
Quite agree. But then, I don't think any ingredient does. The most complex aubergine/eggplant recipe I use has 8 different spices, and that makes the flavour extremely complex - and interesting! Yet there are others where only one, or two spices (or herbs) are used.

Maybe the challenge was too much...
I’m sure some of it is down to it not being very popular, at least among folks in the US (of which we have a couple!) - I was just poking around on the ‘net and found a 2019 poll/study that concluded eggplant is the fifth-most-hated vegetable in the US (yes, I know, not technically a vegetable, blah blah blah :wink: ).

Yeah. Maybe. But that's the whole point of a "challenge", right? Maybe next time I'll put chicken wings or minced beef... :wacky: :wacky: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And I'd likely pass on those, too. Not that I hate them, just not interesting to me. And I haven't ever cooked wings by themselves. Ever. They've always been attached to a whole chicken.

One of the co-stars of the Westworld TV series, Tessa Thompson, never had an egg until recently:

Tessa Thompson Only Recently Ate an Egg For the First Time

Why mention this here? Because she also said she wouldn't even eat eggplant for a while because she associated the vegetable with eggs. :laugh:

I suppose everyone has their reasons for not liking certain food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom