The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was dwelling on various ideas, like seafood stuffed small eggplants.

On my list though not small ones. Your wrapping idea is good. But I've posted several recipes for aubergine involtini so I am trying to strike into new territory. Although... I haven't made a seafood one. These are 'wraps' I've posted in the past (so not entries)

Lamb stuffed aubergine involtini
Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio
Involtini with Sweetcorn & Cheddar
Spicy Aubergine Involtini with Chana Dal & Spinach

On my list though not small ones. Your wrapping idea is good. But I've posted several recipes for aubergine involtini so I am trying to strike into new territory. Although... I haven't made a seafood one. These are 'wraps' I've posted in the past (so not entries)

Lamb stuffed aubergine involtini
Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio
Involtini with Sweetcorn & Cheddar
Spicy Aubergine Involtini with Chana Dal & Spinach
The difference is I was thinking of the wraps being very crispy and not in a sauce (maybe a dipping sauce on the side).

The difference is I was thinking of the wraps being very crispy and not in a sauce (maybe a dipping sauce on the side).

Ah - crispy... not sure aubergine can get crispy. It can have a crispy coating of course as in batter or egg, breadcrumbs etc.. I'll need to research.

Ah - crispy... not sure aubergine can get crispy. It can have a crispy coating of course as in batter or egg, breadcrumbs etc.. I'll need to research.
I had been thinking of ways to do that, perhaps sprinkling thin layers (horizontally cut) with salt and then letting it sit on a paper towel in the refrigerator, and blotting any moisture from the top and then baking it low and slow to dry it out further (only to the point where it is still pliable)? Or wrapping ingredients in a thin layer of eggplant and then coating in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs (maybe mixed with grated parmesan cheese depending on what's in the middle of the wrap) and deep frying, like a croquette of sorts? I suppose a toothpick would be necessary to do this...just random ideas.

Last edited:
I had also entertained the idea of cooking the eggplant and mashing it, then mixing it with finely grated parmesan cheese and baking it into crisps.

And baby eggplant with most of the innards scooped out, then stuffed with something (preferably seafood and herbs for me) and then breaded and deep fried...

I'm a little hesitant to apply an extension, since the response has been, to be honest, very poor.
However, I'm here to judge the Challenge, not peoples ' dislikes. I love aubergines and think they're extremely versatile, so let's add....
3 more days? Does that sound OK?
I'll second the extension.

Sadly most of my aubergine recipes are already written up, so I went hunting...

I've just bought 8 aubergines this week for recipes for the challenge having been ill for the best part of the last 3 weeks.

I've got Turkish Stuffed Aubergine and burnt aubergine soup on the menu this week.

I did add aubergines to a soup I made last week as well. Hubby turned around and told me I could make it again which was a shame because I made it up as I went along! But I do know what I did (roasted garlic, onions, squash, sweet potato and aubergines with ground cumin, gd coriander, aleppo, tahini, maple syrup, dried onion powder, dried garlic powder all in a veg stock...). It was a roast everything fresh and blitz everything job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, chips made from aubergines not potatoes (and UK chips, not crisps).
Very similar to polenta chips
I gathered that but wasn't sure how you made them. So you can get them crispy? Thats been one of my main issues with eggplant, the texture.

I gathered that but wasn't sure how you made them. So you can get them crispy? Thats been one of my main issues with eggplant, the texture.
This one uses panko on the outside for the crispy outside, but like all chips they'll still be soft on the inside.

I actually love their texture. I hated them as a kid because of the way my ex-step father cooked them, but once I got over that anss started cooking then myself, I can't get enough of them. One of my easiest and tastiest ways is preparing them is to thickly slice them (1½-2cm thick) and airfry the slice after a very light drizzle of olive oil.

My news feed had an article on the Mediterranean diet this morning. Here's a link to 1 of the eggplant dishes, and it tells you how to prepare eggplant slices for rolling.

Greek Eggplant-Feta Rolls In Rich Tomato Sauce - Olive Tomato

There was also a pictured dish on my news feed of stuffed eggplant with fresh tomatoes, caramelized onions and garlic with feta.

Thought I would post if anybody is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom