The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oroh:

fullsizeoutput_8431.jpeg

I bought an eggplant and set it on the counter so I wouldn't forget to make something with it. Then, I found it again a week later, still in the same place, with patches of mold starting to form. 😡

Fortunately, there have been some really excellent recipes posted here by people who didn't let their eggplants go bad. I will definitely make a few of these recipes....if I can get to the eggplant before it goes bad this time. :laugh:

I bought an eggplant and set it on the counter so I wouldn't forget to make something with it. Then, I found it again a week later, still in the same place, with patches of mold starting to form. 😡

Fortunately, there have been some really excellent recipes posted here by people who didn't let their eggplants go bad. I will definitely make a few of these recipes....if I can get to the eggplant before it goes bad this time. :laugh:

There is still time to enter. The deadline is not until 7pm (your time) on Sunday.

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”
― Mark Twain
Get those aubergines cooking! :D :D :D

You learn something new every day! I just learned New Jersey grows two-thirds of the world’s eggplant.
I wonder if that's the case? Or if it is just ⅔rds of the USA eggplants?

Eggplant Production - Worldmapper.
More than half of the more than 51 million tons of the global production is harvested in China, followed by India, Egypt, Turkey and Iran. Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Spain and and the Philippines complete the top 10. Overall eggplants are planted in almost 100 countries world wide. Eggplant – or Aubergine – is a species of the nightshade plant family and most popular in Asian, North African and Southern European cuisine.

Edited to add (though data 10 yrs old)
Top Eggplant Producing Countries In The World

RankCountryProduction (in tons)
1China28,433,500
2India13,444,000
3Egypt1,246,707
4Turkey826,941
5Iran733,350
6Indonesia545,646
7Iraq510,918
8Japan321,200
9Italy302,673
10Philippines219,911

Edited to add, now up to date figures can be found here

List of countries by eggplant production - Wikipedia

USA comes in 23rd in 2021 with 98,560 metric tons compared to 37.5 million metric tons grown by China. Grown worldwide it is 58,646,098 metric tons, so USA grows less than 0.17% of the world's eggplants.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's the case? Or if it is just ⅔rds of the USA eggplants?

Eggplant Production - Worldmapper.

Edited to add (though data 10 yrs old)
Top Eggplant Producing Countries In The World

RankCountryProduction (in tons)
1China28,433,500
2India13,444,000
3Egypt1,246,707
4Turkey826,941
5Iran733,350
6Indonesia545,646
7Iraq510,918
8Japan321,200
9Italy302,673
10Philippines219,911

Edited to add, now up to date figures can be found here

List of countries by eggplant production - Wikipedia

USA comes in 23rd in 2021 with 98,560 metric tons compared to 37.5 million metric tons grown by China. Grown worldwide it is 58,646,098 metric tons, so USA grows less than 0.17% of the world's eggplants.
The above table is also a good guide for where to look for aubergine recipes.

I just found this. Not sure if its true. You never know on the internet. It really doesn’t matter to me where my eggplant comes from. When I want it it’s there to buy all year. So they come from somewhere during the off season.

New Jersey's reputation for its vast farmland can be legitimized in the state's production of eggplants alone. According to the Daily Record, New Jersey is responsible for providing 66% of the world's eggplants, making it the top producer of eggplants in the world.Sep 16, 2022

FreshPlaza: Global Fresh Produce and Banana News › article

New Jersey grows the most eggplants in the world - FreshPlaza

I just found this. Not sure if its true. You never know on the internet. It really doesn’t matter to me where my eggplant comes from. When I want it it’s there to buy all year. So they come from somewhere during the off season.

New Jersey's reputation for its vast farmland can be legitimized in the state's production of eggplants alone. According to the Daily Record, New Jersey is responsible for providing 66% of the world's eggplants, making it the top producer of eggplants in the world.Sep 16, 2022

FreshPlaza: Global Fresh Produce and Banana News › article

New Jersey grows the most eggplants in the world - FreshPlaza

If you follow their source (This State Grows More Eggplant Than Any Other In The US - Tasting Table )

It gives this as a title (the Web address says world but the actually words say US.

This State Grows More Eggplant Than Any Other In The US

Read More: This State Grows More Eggplant Than Any Other In The US - Tasting Table
And goes on to say...

Nicknamed "The Garden State," New Jersey's reputation for its vast farmland can be legitimized in the state's production of eggplants alone. According to the State of New Jersey Department of Agriculture, New Jersey is the top producer of eggplants in the Unites States. Harvesting 849 acres each year (as of 2019), New Jersey stands ahead of other leading producers like California, Florida, and Georgia.

Read More: This State Grows More Eggplant Than Any Other In The US - Tasting Table

Now 849 acres of land is not much. I live on a sheep ranch that is 800 hectares (2,500 acres I think) and they're is no way 849 acres would be growing enough aubergines to be producing 66% of the world's supply of aubergine/eggplants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aubergine chips.
Actually quite nice and moreish. None survived. Crispy on the outside and smooth on the inside.

Recipe - Aubergine Chips

View attachment 103852
Looks yummy
I was confused for a while, because these chips are looking like fries. Googled it and remembered what chips and crisps are.
Made a bunch of crisps by accident on my workplace, as I wasn't cautious enough on how thick grilled veggies should be sliced.

So this is unfortunately my final entry because I'm running out of time! I've found so many I'd love to make involving aubergines. But having been ill, I simply haven't been able to participate as much as I'd like.

So, I've made a dish we came across in Türkiye and made it vegan. For those wanting it with meat, just switch out the vegan mince for meat mince and you're sorted.

20230820_181051.jpg

Recipe - Karnıyarik (Turkish Stuffed Aubergines)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom