SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:44 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across a recipe for za'atar eggplant fries online and have based this recipe on that.

20230819_132226.jpg

I thought I had za'atar but couldn't find it, so substituted with other spice mixes, sliced and herb mixes.

I'm using modern aubergines which have had the bitterness bred out of them, so they're is no need to salt and wash them.

We served ours without a dip but if you want an authentic dip, you could use tahini & lemon juice or similar. We did try airfrying a small number but found they browned too quickly and we preferred the oven baked ones.

Ingredients
1 or 2 large aubergines
4-5 eggs beaten (or use a non-dairy milk)
100g plain flour, seasoned
150-200g panko breadcrumbs
6 tbsp various herbs/spices/spice mixes (keep separate)
Canola oil spray or similar

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and have 2 baking sheets lined with baking parchment ready.
  2. Prep the various bowls you'll need. The size will depend on the length of your aubergine but aim for flat dishes such as pasta bowls. Put the seasoned flour in one bowl, the beaten eggs in another, the plain panko in a normal bowl and a thin layer of panko in a 3rd pasta or other flat bottomed bowl. Add 1-2 tsps of herbs or spices to the flat panko bowl and mix well.
  3. Slice off a 1cm thick slice from one side of the aubergine to create a flat edge (no need to remove the skin.) Slice this small wedge into 1cm lengths. Now repeat with the main piece of aubergine. You're aiming for long 1cm × 1cm thick 'chips'.
  4. Now add the aubergine chips to the seasoned flour mix and ensure the chips are thoroughly coated.
  5. Move 1 chip at a time into the egg mix, drench completely, transfer to the panko mix and coat all 4 sides evenly and then move to the baking parchment.
  6. Repeat until all the panko is used. Then make up some more panko mix (with a different seasoning) and repeat until you have coated all of the aubergine chips (having a helpful hand or someone else's child at this stage is useful! It gets messy.)
  7. Now drizzle a little canola oil over the chips, or spray with similar if you've an oil spray handy and bake for 15-20 minutes, before turning, drizzling with a tiny amount more oil and baking for another 15-20 minutes. They'll be brown on all sides at this point and soft inside.
  8. Serve immediately.
20230819_132046.jpg

Sort of like eggplant parmesan but in wedges, no sauce, or cheese. Sounds great. Half the time my breaded eggplant doesn't make it to parmesan. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back
Top Bottom