The CookingBites recipe challenge: aubergine (eggplant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eggplant from the international market:
IMG_5210.jpeg
IMG_5209.jpeg
IMG_5206.jpeg

And shallots because these are huuuuuggggeee:
IMG_5207.jpeg

Does fresh eggplant hold ok? I’m going to buy some tomorrow, but I don’t know what I want to do with them yet, and since it’s a 45-minute drive to the good market, I want to get all my eggplant in one go.

If they are fairly fresh to start with the keep quite well. I put them in the salad drawer of the fridge.

Not an entry as Windigo posted the recipe before but today's Baba Ganoush courtesy of that recipe 🙏
I had to adjust it a wee bit as no molasses available (used black treacle) and didn't use a standard Ras el Hanout blend as I struggle with the level of perfume from cardamon and rose petals etc so I mixed my own toning those elements down a tad. I did miss the garlic a bit but overall it was delicious. One non aubergine eating son said he didn't like the perfumed overtones! The other who really doesn't like aubergine due to it's texture ate a whole ramekins worth!

Two decent ones available and one not so shiny. Didn't use much of that one because the recipe only calls for two medium size and they were almost a medium.

1690811737276.jpeg

1690810737383.png

Yes I know I forgot to wipe the bowl before the photo 🤪
It is lovely, I can't stop eating it!

Last edited:
My recipes always pale in comparison to all the other talented cooks entries.
Never underestimate the power of simplicity, and never underestimate your abilities as a cook!
The best, I mean, the very best in the world best battered squid rings - on a beach in Venezuela. The cook, barely literate, but the squid - unbelievable.
The best Fish & Chips, ever, prepared by a Lithuanian, in a Chip Shop in Sussex, UK.
the best doughnuts I've ever tasted? Silverton Donuts, near Cincinnati, Ohio. The owner is up at 4am to prepare all the flavours,and by 10am, they're gone!

Not an entry as Windigo posted the recipe before but today's Baba Ganoush courtesy of that recipe 🙏
I had to adjust it a wee bit as no molasses available (used black treacle) and didn't use a standard Ras el Hanout blend as I struggle with the level of perfume from cardamon and rose petals etc so I mixed my own toning those elements down a tad. I did miss the garlic a bit but overall it was delicious. One non aubergine eating son said he didn't like the perfumed overtones! The other who really doesn't like aubergine due to it's texture ate a whole ramekins worth!

Two decent ones available and one not so shiny. Didn't use much of that one because the recipe only calls for two medium size and they were almost a medium.

View attachment 103054

View attachment 103053
Yes I know I forgot to wipe the bowl before the photo 🤪
It is lovely, I can't stop eating it!

Well now - I think its fine to post an entry based on a variation of another recipe (so long as you credit the original). And indeed, your Baba Ganoush differs in quite a few ways. Baba Ganoush is a basic 'traditional' recipe which has many variations.

Plus, we need entries. We really need entries everybody!

I’ve got one coming up today and another in the works. Nothing special, but only because I want to make msmofet feel welcome. :wink:

Otherwise, I would have made an elaborate eggplant stuffed with a selection of other eggplant dishes (sort of like turducken, so I guess that’d be an eggplanten :laugh: ), presented in a fairytale spun-honey birdcage kind of thing.

But, nah, I didn’t want to run everyone else off! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom