The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pasta

Fideos is a dish where you toast the pasta before cooking. We first heard of them several years ago from Chef Rick Bayless on his cooking show.

I created a recipe thread for the Toasted Saffron Pasta. I'll link it after I make it and post some pictures.

@detroitdad - you call it 'toasting', we call it 'searing' (I think your wording is probably more accurate)

@morning glory - the recipe my sister followed 30 years ago when searing spaghetti was entitled 'spaghetti rondelles'

It sounds like an early Delia offering - ring any bells with you?

@morning glory - the recipe my sister followed 30 years ago when searing spaghetti was entitled 'spaghetti rondelles'

It sounds like an early Delia offering - ring any bells with you?

No - but if I translate spaghetti rondelles from Italian it gives spaghetti washers! Could be the wheel shape pasta though:

ruote 014.jpg

No - but if I translate spaghetti rondelles from Italian it gives spaghetti washers! Could be the wheel shape pasta though:

No - but that's very funny - what I remember is flatly coiled wheels of spaghetti - a bit like a Catherine wheel, wound round and round, starting from the centre. I also have a feeling that the dish was finished in the oven. The recipe is not on my computer so it has to be in written form somewhere …I guess it'll turn up one day.

No - but that's very funny - what I remember is flatly coiled wheels of spaghetti - a bit like a Catherine wheel, wound round and round, starting from the centre. I also have a feeling that the dish was finished in the oven. The recipe is not on my computer so it has to be in written form somewhere …I guess it'll turn up one day.

Fideo noodles here are as you described. Thin angel hair like pasta wrapped around and around, and sold in coils. The Toasted Fideo, in my experience, are broken and cooked in butter and/or oil, much like the vermicelli you see in Rice-A-Roni. They are also used in paella recipes in place of rice. You can also "toast" orzo as well.

Last edited:
Fideo noodles here are as you described. Thin angel hair like pasta wrapped around and around, and sold in coils. The Toasted Fideo, in my experience, are broken and cooked in butter and/or oil, much like the vermicelli you see in Rice-A-Roni. They are also used in paella recipes in place of rice. You can also "toast" orzo as well.

Yes, some can be bought coiled, but just just as many, if not more come already broken up into short pieces.

I might want to try making my own pasta. I have a ton of basil in the backyard so I was thinking of infusing it together. The problem is, I've never made pasta before. I don't have a pasta machine (I don't even know what that is). So I don't totally derail this thread. If anyone has some simple'ish techniques to make home pasta by hand please PM me.

Thanks,

B

I might want to try making my own pasta. I have a ton of basil in the backyard so I was thinking of infusing it together. The problem is, I've never made pasta before. I don't have a pasta machine (I don't even know what that is). So I don't totally derail this thread. If anyone has some simple'ish techniques to make home pasta by hand please PM me.

Thanks,

B

We had a cookalong for ravioli a while back which included a recipe for pasta - see here. The simplest pasta is flour and water but most recipes suggest flour and egg. Its like making play dough really! But you must use bread flour or 00 pasta flour as you need the gluten. The ingredients are cheap and its quick to make, so its worth having a play around. You don't need a pasta machine. A rolling pin will do.

Back
Top Bottom