The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

What store sells half bell peppers?
None that I know of - that’s one pepper I’ve sliced and diced a bit off of over the last several days, mainly for salads. An entire bell pepper would be too much.

Is a Hairy Navel the same drink as a Fuzzy Navel? IIRC, peach schnapps and OJ? Maybe vodka, too, for some extra octane?
Yes on the vodka, that’s what grows it out from merely fuzzy to downright hairy.

We usually have some kind of fizzy drink on Sundays, but I forgot to buy any fizz. Then I noticed the OJ in the fridge, nearing its end date, and so hairy navels is was.

I have one can of low sodium SPAM left. I don't know what to do with it. I thought about SPAM chili, but then slapped myself in the face to knock that thought out of my head. Same with chicken and SPAM gumbo. :stop:

Tasty's idea is one I didn't think of, so he can't actually "Tasty" me on that one. :laugh:

I also thought about Korean Army Soup (another WWII classic, from South Korea), but I don't have the ingredients and I ain't goin' nowhere in this cold weather.

I ditched my SPAM Wellington idea, because it is all over the internet, including on this forum (Burt Blank).

What to do, what to do?

CD

All right, here's my last one:

Recipe - Bean & Spam Soup

Hey, it's soup, and as caseydog says, the weather is right for it. This really hit the spot tonight.

Nothing new here, really, just a basic bean-and-ham soup, with the substitution of SPAM for the usual ham hock/bone, but sometimes, the basics are what works, and both MrsT and I had two helpings.

I would have used more bell pepper (or none), but that bit was hanging out in the fridge, so when I went looking for things to throw in there, I figured I'd make use of that. I wish it had be yellow, just to contrast with the carrot. Oh well.

Sort of the same thing with the dry mustard...I was thinking, "What goes well with ham...mayonnaise? Well, I can't put that in there (or can I?)...brown sugar?...no, the SPAM is already rather sweet...mustard?...Yes!...and I have about a teaspoon left in the spice jar! Perfect!" So in with the mustard.

Not much else to say about it, really, just some good ol' rib-sticking soup.

My apologies, kaneohegirlinaz for not going full Hawaiian and using some of the crackers you sent me, but they're all gone! :smug:

...and of course I'm dubbing this SPoup!

SPAM is too good for that mutt. You should smell the $56 a bag Science Diet food she eats. It smells nasty, and she eats it up like it is prime rib.

CD
When Kate got to where she couldn’t eat hard food any longer, we switched her over to soft Freshpet - I kid you not, that stuff smelled like really good bologna, with just a hint of fresh parsley.

When Kate got to where she couldn’t eat hard food any longer, we switched her over to soft Freshpet - I kid you not, that stuff smelled like really good bologna, with just a hint of fresh parsley.

That day will come for FattyPoodle. Her first elderly woman owner (my mom is her second elderly womanowner) fed her mostly people food, and her teeth are terrible. She's had at least three pulled already.

CD

I make food for my dogs, using chicken, bacon, and sweet potatoes. I was inspired to make it by Farmers Dog, which is similar. I realized quickly that I could make it myself for cheaper, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

I make food for my dogs, using chicken, bacon, and sweet potatoes. I was inspired to make it by Farmers Dog, which is similar. I realized quickly that I could make it myself for cheaper, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

FattyPoodle needs to lose a good three pounds first. She weighs 17 pounds now, so three pounds is a significant drop. The I can look at options to maintain her weight. SPAM and bacon probably won't be part of that mix. :laugh:

CD

I did that for a while, but then it seemed like I was cooking more for her than for us! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom