The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

Growing up we had processed meat but we called it Belgium. Belgium and tomato sauce sammys . We still buy it cold sliced but they call it savoury luncheon now.
Squirt of tomato sauce, straight in your gob. I love it. Still sold at countdown. We make a special trip to get it. It has mixed veges in it.

Russ

SPAM® BBQ Sliders with Grilled Onions and Pineapple.

Recipe - SPAM® BBQ Sliders with Grilled Onions and Pineapple.

Made with reduced sodium SPAM, grilled white onions, pineapple and Stubbs Sweet Heat BBQ sauce. Seven wit a side of Mac salad, just for K-girl. :okay: I made four of them, and ate them all. They were quite tasty.

1705112878285.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
Short answer @ElizabethB , YES! We "locals" love us our Spam!
And yes, Spam made it's way to Hawaii during WWII.
I remember my father and all of his family talking about "rations" and meat was VERY hard to come by.
But not so canned or potted meats.
To the day my Dad died, he refused to eat ANY potted meats, me, I love all that s---!
Thank you. I love the history behind food trends especially weird food like Spam. LOL the locked up Spam.

I actually bought a can of SPAM. Biscuits with sausage gravy are a weekend breakfast treat in the south. I made a SPAM gravy. I could not eat it. Sorry SPAM fans. I fried some to serve with eggs instead of bacon or ham. I could not eat it. I really tried. I am adventurous eater. I never judge anything without trying it. I have eaten termites. They taste like carrots. SPAM has defeated me. I take a bite and spit it out. :hyper:

caseydog I don't think you'd eat store-bought Mac Salad :laugh:

I don't particularly like Mac salad, so I didn't want to make a bunch of it. Kroger makes a decent potato salad, so I bout a small carton of Mac salad... and actually like it. It is sweeter than any Mac salad I've had before.

I hope I don't lose points for store bought Mac salad. :oops:

CD

Back
Top Bottom