The CookingBites recipe challenge: processed canned/tinned luncheon meat

All right, here's my last one:

Recipe - Bean & Spam Soup

Hey, it's soup, and as caseydog says, the weather is right for it. This really hit the spot tonight.

Nothing new here, really, just a basic bean-and-ham soup, with the substitution of SPAM for the usual ham hock/bone, but sometimes, the basics are what works, and both MrsT and I had two helpings.

I would have used more bell pepper (or none), but that bit was hanging out in the fridge, so when I went looking for things to throw in there, I figured I'd make use of that. I wish it had be yellow, just to contrast with the carrot. Oh well.

Sort of the same thing with the dry mustard...I was thinking, "What goes well with ham...mayonnaise? Well, I can't put that in there (or can I?)...brown sugar?...no, the SPAM is already rather sweet...mustard?...Yes!...and I have about a teaspoon left in the spice jar! Perfect!" So in with the mustard.

Not much else to say about it, really, just some good ol' rib-sticking soup.

My apologies, kaneohegirlinaz for not going full Hawaiian and using some of the crackers you sent me, but they're all gone! :smug:

...and of course I'm dubbing this SPoup!
Are those not the best crackers TastyReuben ?!
You too could order them online as I do ... Hawaiian Soda Crackers, Low Sodium/No Cholesterol Tray (13oz)

SPAM is too good for that mutt. You should smell the $56 a bag Science Diet food she eats. It smells nasty, and she eats it up like it is prime rib.

CD
If it's the kibble, that stuff goes stale after a while. After Mork passed, I had to start buying the smaller bag for Mindy, cat, since I could actually smell the stale smell. I also noticed that she didn't eat it as quick once we got to the last couple of week servings of the bag. I empty it into an airtight container, but it still goes stale, even with the smaller size bag.

The pugs eat it quick enough it doesn't go stale. In fact, Mindy will eat the pug food rather than hers toward the end.

BTW, Science Diet comes in different formulations, sizes and diets for different dogs and cats. The pugs eat small, inside, senior formulas that they can swallow hole if necessary.

Last edited:
I make food for my dogs, using chicken, bacon, and sweet potatoes. I was inspired to make it by Farmers Dog, which is similar. I realized quickly that I could make it myself for cheaper, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

I did that for a while as well. It used stuff from the health food store, crushed seaweed, calcium powder, etc. Considering we had a 90+ pound Malamute/Golden retriever, as well as an American Eskimo Spitz and a Pekingese, I was constantly making dog food. So, since the mix was the only 1 that had dietary issues, IBS, I made food and froze it for her so I'd have some as soon as she started to show a flare. Otherwise, they got Science Diet and the 2 that didn't have the IBS issues got a little with their regular food when Keena had an IBS flare so they didn't get upset over her getting a special treat.

If it's the kibble, that stuff goes stale after a while. After Mork passed, I had to start buying the smaller bag for Mindy, cat, since I could actually smell the stale smell. I also noticed that she didn't eat it as quick once we got to the last couple of week servings of the bag. I empty it into an airtight container, but it still goes stale, even with the smaller size bag.

The pugs eat it quick enough it doesn't go stale. In fact, Mindy will eat the pug food rather than hers toward the end.

BTW, Science Diet comes in different formulations, sizes and diets for different dogs and cats. The pugs eat small, inside, senior formulas that they can swallow hole if necessary.

I thought of the stale thing, but even a brand new bag smells bad. I also have an airtight dog food container.

Mom's dog eats the Science Diet Perfect Weight dry dog food. I've had one of my dad's credit cards for a few years, that I've used to buy things for my mom and dad. I charge all the expenses for my mom's dog to that, so the price is no issue. It's the smell.

CD

IMG_3676.jpeg

Spoke Bowl. I asked TR if I could use canned fish, figuring I couldn’t. And, I’m glad for that. This is a Spam poke bowl, and the flavor works surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Less than 24 hours left in the challenge…any last-minute entries coming this way? 🍽️

I’m afraid I’ll have to sit this one out. I do not like ham, and I absolutely cannot stand SPAM. Just the smell makes me want to retch.

I am very curious to see how on earth TastyReuben manages to put spam into a cocktail.

I couldn't help but think of this when I read that just now.

beta&t=azSlMuko2JERaftpTOabqil4jmvwLf2FHwHq1ZGig0s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom