The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomato ketchup

Recipe - Ketchup Marinade Grilled Dinner Dogs

20240303_194702.jpg

We’re winding down here for the Ketchup Kerfuffle - just a reminder that we have about…3-1/2 hours to go, and for those of us in the US, the challenge ends at 7PM EST.

I’ll actually be picking MrsT up from the airport right when the challenge ends. I’ll do my best to mark the end of competition here promptly at the appointed hour, but I may miss it a bit.

Ok, I’m ready to name a winner!

First, though, I do want to point out that I was quite pleased to see entries for homemade ketchup - I’ll be trying those at home at some point.

As always, there were a few that stood out, but after having a think, I’ve landed on Recipe - Meatloaf with Ketchup, Mustard, Honey Glaze as submitted by ElizabethB!

I think it stayed with me because I like the idea of a “deluxe” glaze - usually, it’s just ketchup or barbecue sauce, but the combination of ketchup, mustard, and honey sounds wonderful. This is another one I’ll be making, and soon, as I’ve now got a hankering for meatloaf.

Excellent entry, ElizabethB - it’s now your turn to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

YAY Elizabeth! You made a meatloaf that even I would have eaten--I don't care for "regular" meatloaf but yours looked and sounded amazing!

Okay - I have made a decision. The next challenge is Peanut butter. Creamy, chunky, organic or homemade.
I love peanut butter. A tablespoon or two before bed is comforting. I will eat a PB&J sandwich for any meal. I like to add a slice of sharp cheddar. I rock peanut butter cookies and peanut butter, dark chocolate truffles.
Inspire me - an amazing peanut butter desert or teach me how to use peanut butter in savory dishes. I have never used peanut butter in a savory dish, so I am very interested in savory recipes.

Okay - I have made a decision. The next challenge is Peanut butter. Creamy, chunky, organic or homemade.
I love peanut butter. A tablespoon or two before bed is comforting. I will eat a PB&J sandwich for any meal. I like to add a slice of sharp cheddar. I rock peanut butter cookies and peanut butter, dark chocolate truffles.
Inspire me - an amazing peanut butter desert or teach me how to use peanut butter in savory dishes. I have never used peanut butter in a savory dish, so I am very interested in savory recipes.
That's a great ingredient.

I think there is 1 member who can't have nuts. Do you have an alternative that they could use? Maybe tahini or a seed paste?

Peanuts are a legume - not a true nut. My sister-in-law is allergic to peanuts but not to tree nuts. So, if a member is allergic to peanuts use tree nut butter. Seed butter is an alternative only if the allergy includes both peanuts and tree nuts - an extremely unusual situation.

Back
Top Bottom