Traditional English Breakfast

+1 for the fried bread - baked beans [from a tin] and it MUST be real tomatoes [some places actually serve tinned things !!! :eek:] Black pudding is usual although it varies in spiciness from maker to maker. Add a large mug of tea [ hot strong brown with milk and sugar to taste] although I do notice coffee creeping in a little now - evolution I suppose. Mushrooms as above and bread and butter [actually toast and jam afterwards is permissible].
Must admit I have not come across white pudding for breakfast although it is also quite common up her in Northumberland. When travelling the whole lot is sometimes packed [!!] into a large breadcake / bun/ tea cake and served by roadside café’s [a tricky thing to eat without ending up wearing most of it].
Good luck with the calories.

+1 for the fried bread - baked beans [from a tin] and it MUST be real tomatoes [some places actually serve tinned things !!! :eek:] Black pudding is usual although it varies in spiciness from maker to maker. Add a large mug of tea [ hot strong brown with milk and sugar to taste] although I do notice coffee creeping in a little now - evolution I suppose. Mushrooms as above and bread and butter [actually toast and jam afterwards is permissible].
Must admit I have not come across white pudding for breakfast although it is also quite common up her in Northumberland. When travelling the whole lot is sometimes packed [!!] into a large breadcake / bun/ tea cake and served by roadside café’s [a tricky thing to eat without ending up wearing most of it].
Good luck with the calories.

I am a good runner fortunately..

I wish we could get good black pudding here. Or even good white.

The last time I had a good Irish breakfast (pretty much the same as English) was in Belfast about a decade ago. The black pudding was deliciously rich and mineral-ly, and the white pudding had a nice balance with the sweet meat and grainy oats.

I wish we could get good black pudding here. Or even good white.

The last time I had a good Irish breakfast (pretty much the same as English) was in Belfast about a decade ago. The black pudding was deliciously rich and mineral-ly, and the white pudding had a nice balance with the sweet meat and grainy oats.

That describes how they should be just perfectly! :happy:

Perhaps this isn’t quite exactly on topic, but it is the best contribution I can make to a discussion about traditional English breakfast.

It has always been in the nature of my work that I have to do a bit of travelling. In the last few years, until quite recently, I was doing a job that involved a great deal of driving around the UK. As you might imagine, when I needed to be on site reasonably early, I always found that the best plan was to get up early, beat the traffic and break the back of the journey before finding somewhere local to where I was going to grab a breakfast. But I powerfully resent paying the frankly utterly ludicrous price charged in your average motorway service area, particularly when, despite the price, the quality is usually low and all too commonly, the staff have been to the Basil Fawlty school of customer service.

One of the best examples of what I learned was actually in a job previous to that when I was sent to stay overnight in a local hotel. It was one of these hotels where the front-line price for the room is actually quite reasonable, but once they have got you in there, they just about charge you for the oxygen you breath while you are there. I was asked by those within the company I worked for who were responsible for booking my room whether I wanted to have the breakfast included. I asked how much it was and was told it was £15. This is perhaps about 10 years ago. On an instinct, without really knowing, I said no don’t bother. In the morning, I went into the factory where I was to work that day, and sure enough, they had a works canteen, and I had a perfectly excellent breakfast for about £3.

So I developed an ability to find the best places to get breakfast. There was a site I had to support in Grimsby and within a mile of the site was a café on an industrial estate. Their main business was actually doing these sandwich vans that drive around local businesses, and whenever I went there, there were always vans being loaded up for the day’s rounds. But they would greet me like an old friend and tell me to sit down, they’d bring the breakfast over when it was ready.

Another site I supported was near Wellingborough and there is a café off the A45 called Scoffers. Not the cheapest, but high quality, good service and a perfectly sensible price. But perhaps the best example of all was when I went to a site I supported at Seal Sands near Middlesbrough. The route I took was up the M1, A1, A19. And in a layby on the A19, a little before you get to Middlesbrough is a café that is literally a portacabin. First class bacon, eggs, toast and a coffee, £3.50.

If I am honest, there were occasions when I was going to a site for the first time when I would struggle to find anywhere. Sometimes I would settle for a sandwich shop and sit in my car to eat. Sometimes, I couldn’t even find one of those. But far more often than not I did find somewhere, and when I supported a site regularly, I would invariably find somewhere in a different league to your average motorway service area.

The "traditional" Scottish breakfast is much the same as the English one, but will probably include black pudding and tattie scones (potato scones). Of course, you might get a bowl of porridge stuck in front of you before you get hit with the fried stuff. Also, your sausage might be in the form of the lorne sausage (square-shaped).
On a trip to Fort William we were served a round of fried Haggis in place of the black pudding, it worked very well, but I'm not sure it was there just for the tourists.

I'm thinking to serve up: crispy bacon, fried eggs, pork sausage, grilled tomatoes and beans with tomatoes cream and toasts with butter...once I had in a hotel also mushrooms....but I don't remember if it was in UK or Ireland...anyway I ate them too!
But I don't know how could I prepare the tomatoes cream for beans..

Crispy bacon :stop: :headshake:that is not part of the Full English Breakfast, has to be proper bacon.

Back
Top Bottom