What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

Chicken fried steak, mashies and broccoli. The broccoli got a bit over cooked because I had to take the pugs outside, oh well.

2018-08-16 17.17.25.jpg

Last edited:
No cranberries - just mixed dried fruit.

Maybe it was my brother who puts cranberries in his bara brith - I can't find a mention of it anywhere, but I'm sure I've seen it as a suggestion

Can I ask you please to edit your post(s) on this back to the bara brith thread - or is too late for that? It'd be good to have all the reference notes in one place. Maybe also your thread about distributing dried fruit etc should be xref-d too?

I know that you like to keep a tidy forum...

Can I ask you please to edit your post(s) on this back to the bara brith thread - or is too late for that? It'd be good to have all the reference notes in one place. Maybe also your thread about distributing dried fruit etc should be xref-d too?

I know that you like to keep a tidy forum...

I copied them over rather than moving them. :okay:

I slept late, so my wife just made broiled salmon with mustard sauce and mashed spuds for the boy and herself.

I decided to get creative with some odds and ends in the fridge and knocked one out of the park.

I came up with a huge, boneless, skinless chicken breast, a chunk of mozarella, half of an onion, half of a head of garlic, and the remainder of a jar of pickled jalapenos.

So, I sliced and pounded out the chicken breast, then seasoned it with dried oregano and basil, and s&p.

In a large skillet, I added a bit of minced onion and a lot of minced garlic to grapeseed oil. When it started to brown, I added the chicken breast and sauteed them just a minute or two on each side.

The sliced, pickled japs were spooned over top, then the mozarella cheese laid over that and the pan was covered to allow the cheese to melt.

It was famtastic. I'll be making this again soon, and I'll take pictures. It was sort of a cross between Chicken Florentine and Chicken Murphy.

IMG_0555a.jpg

Duck breast salad. A John Torode recipe that was bursting with many conflicting textures and flavours - not for the faint hearted!

The salad included watermelon, pink grapefruit, radishes, spring onions, Romaine lettuce, salted cashew nuts, fresh mint, basil and coriander. The dressing was quite intense - fish sauce, tamarind paste, lime juice, birds-eye chillis and palm sugar.

I decided to get creative with some odds and ends in the fridge and knocked one out of the park.

I love those moments - deciding to cook with no clear idea what you're going to make and just using what's to hand. So often it's much better than spending hours reading someone else's recipe, transcribing it onto a shopping list, trailing round a bunch of shops to get everything, then finally getting down to cook - and producing something that was OK, but arguably not worth all that effort.

Just using your culinary skills, imagination and a few basic ingredients to create something that you enjoyed and that was so worthwhile that you wanted to write it all up and share it with us. Nice one.

View attachment 18564
Duck breast salad. A John Torode recipe that was bursting with many conflicting textures and flavours - not for the faint hearted!

The salad included watermelon, pink grapefruit, radishes, spring onions, Romaine lettuce, salted cashew nuts, fresh mint, basil and coriander. The dressing was quite intense - fish sauce, tamarind paste, lime juice, birds-eye chillis and palm sugar.

Sounds delicious...

Wow, those tomatoes look good.

Today I have made chickpea curry, a daal from brown lentils, I'm part way through making cauliflower flat 'bread' (I'll let you know how this goes). I've also made a raita using the new unsweetened alpro yoghurt, and some of the mint and apple chutney I made last year (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/green-apple-mint-chutney.10948/). Photos later.

Back
Top Bottom