What did you cook, eat or drink today (September 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh or saltwater "Bass"?

European sea bass. I should remember to add 'sea' in front of bass in future. Most restaurants here will always say 'seabass' but it is, to me, redundant to add the 'sea' as there is no other type of bass available to cook here. I suppose it might be possible to import some frozen striped bass but I've never heard of it being done.

European sea bass. I should remember to add 'sea' in front of bass in future. Most restaurants here will always say 'seabass' but it is, to me, redundant to add the 'sea' as there is no other type of bass available to cook here. I suppose it might be possible to import some frozen striped bass but I've never heard of it being done.

Although striped bass are euryhaline, most folks think of them as a saltwater fish.

Yesterday.
Roast Lamb Lyonnaise. Sorry, only took pic in oven, completely forgot to take pic on table. Basically leg of lamb studded with garlic, laid on a bed of sliced onions and potatoes.. Recipe also called for dripping to go over the lamb but I used a slightly more healthy vegetable oil. Was yummy, if a trifle overdone.View attachment 19294

Dessert was a Chocolate Cream Gateau. Also yummy but the recipe called for the cream to be just about firm, I wish I had whisked it rather more as I think it would have given a more pleasing visual result.

View attachment 19293

That roast lamb looks delicious. And I imagine the potatoes tasted great too.

Last night was salvaging what I could from my friend's fridge and cupboard to create a dinner: sausages (a good start) and a tin of butter beans. There were no onions but some garlic, fresh tomatoes and dill. So it was sausages, with butterbeans cooked down with tomatoes, grated garlic and dill. With some dried tarragon and celery seeds mixed in. It turned out rather well considering.

As I read what ingredients you had on hand, my first thought was Cassoulet.

Quick one tonight..strip loin steaks, baked potato, a few fried shrooms..

42119052_309523382934362_4574615481385746432_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 19283
Scott Conant at the Detroit Food & Wine Festival (Saturday), showing the correct technique for preparing risotto. Despite the breeze, his hair – as always – is perfect.

I asked him where his family came from in Italy. He told me they came from a small town near Naples, and they came to the New World in 1620. There’s apparently a statue in honor of an ancestor of his – also with the last name Conant – in Salem, Massachusetts. He was quick to point out he had nothing to do with the witch trials.

View attachment 19284

These are chicken kebabs, served with a phenomenal teriyaki sauce.

View attachment 19285

Tuna cones?? Kinda, yeah. One of my favorite Detroit eateries - Lumen - served sashimi tuna in slightly sweet waffle-style cones at the Festival.

I'll bet you had a great time. Love food shows. How did you like the food? Apparently I'm in style, LOL, small plates and nibbles appear to be in now. I was just looking at the the Governor's Ball menu for the Emmy Awards. It's all finger food and small plates.

P. S., You reminded me I have a recipe somewhere for risotto made with red wine. Give a holler and I'll try to find it. The food looks amazing!

Last edited:
I'll bet you had a great time. Love food shows. How did you like the food? Apparently I'm in style, LOL, small plates and nibbles appear to be in now. I was just looking at the the Governor's Ball menu for the Emmy Awards. It's all finger food and small plates.

P. S., You reminded me I have a recipe somewhere for risotto made with red wine. Give a holler and I'll try to find it. The food looks amazing!
The food was really good. Some things that weren't so photogenic were pulled pork, sliders, chilled octopus on a cracker, and cookies. There was also a booth where you could make your own donuts! Well...they made the donuts, and you had a crazy array of different things to put on them.

Please do post your risotto recipe. One thing that Chef Conant said about risotto: don't skimp on the butter!

IMG_1695.JPG

Thai Coconut Corn Soup - a riff on my Thai Coconut Soup recipe, I had leftover corn that I knew I couldn't finish, so I roasted it on the grill, pureed 3/4 of it, and added the rest in at the end. The pureed corn provided the thickening I needed, so I left the cornstarch out. The corn cobs were simmered with the shrimp shells to enhance the stock. As long as the corn is this good, I will make my Thai Coconut Soup this way from now on.

Carrot soup. I made it edible:woot:

I've tried before and it was awful! So I roasted 4 carrots, an onion and a few garlic cloves. Then put in a pan with water, sage, salt, pepper and a pinch of chilli fakes. Simmered on low then blitzed. :soup:

Roasting the carrots is probably they key!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom