What did you cook/eat today (January 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I turned things that needed to be used up into a satay chicken curry.

I had no bamboo shoots but there were a couple of chokos in the fridge which were delicious and keep a little texture when simmered in curry sauce and were a good replacement.

We grew up eating it peeled, sliced, steamed & served with lemon juice, butter, salt & pepper.

I think it would be an interesting veg ingredient for a challenge actually.

Last night I turned things that needed to be used up into a satay chicken curry.

I had no bamboo shoots but there were a couple of chokos in the fridge which were delicious and keep a little texture when simmered in curry sauce and were a good replacement.

We grew up eating it peeled, sliced, steamed & served with lemon juice, butter, salt & pepper.

I think it would be an interesting veg ingredient for a challenge actually.
I had to look up chokos. I've never heard of them before and certainly never seen any. Supermarket searches don't turn up anything, although I expect it's possible that some of the ethnic stores may have them occasionally.

Ploughman's lunch (I forgot the tomatoes so could you please imagine that there are sliced tomatoes included?).

ploughman's lunch 1 s.jpg

I had to look that one up as well.
I'm not certain I've come across them yet. I'll have to have a look on Saturday to see if I can see any. They sound interesting.

An old-time Aussie favourite, native to South America where it is known as chayote. A green, slightly spiky fruit with mild, white flesh. It was used as a pie or jam filler during the Depression years in Australia but is delicious fried or au gratin (in a mornay or bechamel sauce).
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ingredient/choko

I have another kilo of cubed topside being delivered tomorrow.

I think that I'll start with aloo gosht on Saturday.

IMG_1093.JPG

Sirloin burger with kimchi, pickled red onion, pickled Anaheim pepper, and an aioli made from avocado mayo and harissa paste. I ground the sirloin to about an 85/15 ratio; all the toppings are homemade. I was halfway through the burger when I realized that I also brought (homemade) fries. I should have tried putting some of the carrot bacon on top, but I ended up eating it all last night.
:bbq:

I had to look that one up as well.
I'm not certain I've come across them yet. I'll have to have a look on Saturday to see if I can see any. They sound interesting.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ingredient/choko

I would love to know how they got to Australia. They've been grown in Sydney back yards forever. They are a vine & will live almost forever in a temperate climate. Traditionally they were grown up & over the "dunny" - a dunny being the outhouse (outside toilet) to pretty it up.

For tonight's meal I have pork chops marinating in a mixture of things - some bulgogi marinade, some pixian doubanjiang & some homemade plum sauce. There was just 2-3 tbls of each in jars in the fridge so I'm freeing up much needed space in there.

I have shredded veg for slaw to which I will add rice noodles, fresh herbs & a ginger sesame soy dressing to serve with the BBQ'ed chops.

Yesterday I made meatloaf. My MIL's recipe & a family favourite. I'll post it here at some point.

I also made a pasta bake in the Egyptian style that has gone to the freezer to save my sanity another day.

2018-01-04 18.16.22.jpg
Chicken soup for us, datalini pasta, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, potato, chicken poached in chicken broth, onions and garlic sweated in smaltz from the chicken fat and skin, with just a bit of flour to make a really small amount of blond roux, and skin that was crisped and crumbled on top of the soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom