What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ตําซั่ว (sam tua) - A concoction of green papaya, noodles, fish sauce and garlic which is normally considered "hardcore" although my wife didn't add many chilis to this one. This was made from part of the papaya previously posted in "the size of vegetables".

View attachment 9199

For @morning glory : The spoons suggest that the dish is for two people to share. More spoons would be added for more people dining.
That with an ice cold Singha in a bar overlooking the beach is my idea of perfection.

Whey pancakes with yoghurt for breakfast, paneer and fresh home made wholemeal bread for lunch, and spanakopita for dinner, followed of course by freshly picked blackberries :laugh:

WP_20170718_20_46_32_Pro.jpg

spanakopita for dinner, followed of course by freshly picked blackberries

Spanakopita is one of my favourite dishes - does your's have spinach (I only ask 'cos I can't see any in the photo). Freshly picked blackberries? I thought blackberries weren't in season yet?

Spanakopita is one of my favourite dishes - does your's have spinach (I only ask 'cos I can't see any in the photo). Freshly picked blackberries? I thought blackberries weren't in season yet?
It was made with spinach and the tail end of the Swiss chard in it, with loads of home made cheese. Some slices had more "green" in it than others!

As far as the blackberries are concerned, these were fresh picked from my garden this afternoon, and the bushes in the field round the corner are full of them. I don't normally have any ripe ones until August/September, although the season is supposed to start in June.

As far as the blackberries are concerned, these were fresh picked from my garden this afternoon, and the bushes in the field round the corner are full of them. I don't normally have any ripe ones until August/September, although the season is supposed to start in June.

Oh how lovely! I haven't seen any around on the hedgerows here. Its usually late August/September as you say.

Oh how lovely! I haven't seen any around on the hedgerows here. Its usually late August/September as you say.
In theory/traditionally they should ripen at the same time of year as apples, but normally if I get loads of blackberries, I have hardly any apples at all, and vice versa.

I didn't want to send hubby out to drown in the rain, so the hot dogs will have to wait again for their date with the grill. Instead, I steamed some cheddar bratwurst in beer. We had potato salad with lots of fresh dill, sauerkraut, pickled beets, and sauteed apple slices. "Dessert" is a cup of Red Rose tea with a bit of sugar and cream, and the audio play of my baseball game. Life is good...

20170718_205144.jpg

3 tblsps of tomato puree is a lot for me. 12 litres of my chili carne calls for that and I have recently been cutting this quantity down to 2 tblsps

Purée to me is either blended tin tomato or Italian style passata.

Paste is a concentrate.

12 Litres! That's impressive. I often batch cook but I think my largest pot is 11L. My slow cooker is 6L.

I'll put the recipe up if I can figure out the tagging system.

"Dessert" is a cup of Red Rose tea with a bit of sugar and cream, and the audio play of my baseball game. Life is good...

View attachment 9204

I love listening to baseball and hockey games on the radio. There's something about your mind's eye seeing the game that makes it exciting, and brings back fond memories of my childhood. Hiding under the covers in bed with a monaural earbud in my ear connected to a palm sized transistor radio so my parents wouldn't know that I was still awake.

Or long car rides with a game on the radio. The miles pass so much better that way, when your eyes are on the road but your mind is cheering in the stands.

I remember having a briefcase which I took to school. It held a transistor radio and I'd added some coat hanger made controls so that it could be turned off and on without opening the case. Attached was an audio wire that ran up my jumper and through my sleeve to an earplug which I could disguise by leaning with my head on my hand. Not baseball or hockey, but test cricket.

It's strange what you can remember from 50 odd years ago but can't remember what happened yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom