What did you cook/eat today (May 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About that smashed phone screen? I strongly suggest you have a professional do the job. Hubby replaced mine when something dropped on it and turned it into a spider web. He also bought the digitizer that sits right behind the glass. He figured prying the screen up would damage it. He was right. The problem I have is that the glue to put it all together isn't really strong. My phone now senses hand movements and thinks its supposed to respond, but all it does is annoy me. Either way the price was about the same, but the DIY kit provided tools that he thought he could re-pupose. Not really - they were too cheap.

His next step might be to lift the screen just enough so that he can squirt glue in to hold the screen in place. Who knows what results that will provide...

Last night I used leftovers to make an Arroz con Pollo.

I had a leftover lemon and paprika grilled chicken breast (which I cubed), some canned black beans and corn kernels, and a bowl of texmati rice. I mixed everything with a little enchilada sauce and nuked it until just reheated. Served with a whole wheat pita and diet peach iced tea.

Last night I used leftovers to make an Arroz con Pollo.

I had a leftover lemon and paprika grilled chicken breast (which I cubed), some canned black beans and corn kernels, and a bowl of texmati rice. I mixed everything with a little enchilada sauce and nuked it until just reheated. Served with a whole wheat pita and diet peach iced tea.
Hungarian chicken, what is texmati rice, Mexican sauce, Greek bread and a southern drink.
Your Arroz con Pollo sounds like my Jambalaya.
Never mind googled it. It is more a brand name than an actual rice type.

Tonight will be who knows. He gets off early.

About that smashed phone screen? I strongly suggest you have a professional do the job
thank you. I'm afraid that paying someone else to do it (I'm a qualified senior Support IT Engineer) isn't an option. Apart from the fact we got a quote $300 when I only paid $200 for the phone, it will be the 5th time in 12 months that I have broken a screen on a phone! I've had a lot of practice. Part of the problem is that I'm slightly paralysed. I can only tell that I am holding something, not how well I am holding it. And I don't replace them with the cheap Chinese imports. This is more than 4 times the price of those. It will be fine. I always replace the entire assembly (digitizer, screen and glass together) even though it is only the glass at the front that is broken in this case! The phone basically has a design flaw - its glass front and back! Never again. When the contract is up and I finally have killed the phone completely, I will select a different brand and model I think!

Anyway, I want some. But I can't get under ripe mango here. :mad:

We were given three of these yesterday - one has already been eaten.

unripe mango s.jpg

Last night I planned to a meal along the lines of the excellent efforts made by @The Late Night Gourmet and @Ken Natton with mushroom tagliatelle and steak. However, I was missing some vital ingredients (cream, duh!) and was pretty brain dead after 4 hours stuck in traffic jams at 30 deg C. Shortcut time - wholewheat noodles, pan fried steak, red wine sauce and fried mushrooms. Oh, and some canned callalloo cooked up in garlic butter (I don't know either) Not my finest hour. The dogs were chuffed though.

How many of these we shall cook and eat this evening I don't yet know. Kebabs consisting of marinated chicken, red capsicum, king oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, onion and fresh tomato.

chicken kebabs 1 s.jpg

[Edit: making these today has given me an idea for the latest Cookingbites challenge]

Last edited:
it will be the 5th time in 12 months that I have broken a screen on a phone!

Has it not occurred that a protective case might be a good investment? I bought one for my iPhone (about £70 off ebay) consisting of an aluminium frame that goes round the edge, a clear plastic film for the screen and a piece of suede for the back. I drop it most days without drama. One day I even left it on the rear bumper of the car and drove off, only realising what I had done ten minutes later. I rushed back to find it lying in the road near home. It had been driven over, but other than a few scratches and a dent to the frame it was undamaged. I just had to take a screwdriver to open up the hole in the frame where the charger plugs in.

The first handphone we owned (which wasn't "company" property) was a Siemen's. The case was rubber (or a rubberised material) which appeared to be very sturdy. If you buy a phone that can withstand dropping, you'll never drop it. It cost £600.00 in 1997.

I made salads and a chicken dish. The salads used up the last bits of romaine lettuce, fresh mozzarella, and roma tomatoes. Our main event was steamed broccoli, and chicken-preserved lemon-green olive, sauced and piled on top of Pastina (because I was out of couscous). No photos because the salad looked like a normal salad, and the chicken pretty much blended into be beige pasta. It was very tasty, though! :hungry:

Has it not occurred that a protective case might be a good investment?
I have one. I have had the official Sony one. You can't charge the phone with it in the case. I've had cheap imitations, same problem, or more expensive ones, same problem. None of them resolve the issue I can't feel that I'm holding things properly. Even with protective screen covers on... Bare in mind I fall 5-10 times a day myself, including 6 months ago one fall that cost me a huge scar in my knee and 11 broken ribs which are still causing me problems now. Sooner or later one of those 600 falls (ok 300-600 falls) every 2 months plus the issues knowing in holding the phone in the first place, say dropping it an average of 3-4 times a day, so add another 200 falls into the 600... Sooner or later one of those is going to break something and either the front screen or the back breaks. The case I have is the fold over type. It's done well when you consider I frequently fall on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom