What did you cook/eat today (May 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what species of crab? Just curious.

And what kind of chilli?
Scottish crab. Container box just said chilli - I doubt that it was anything more than chilli powder. I keep wanting to be pleasantly surprised by fresh ravioli but never am. Maybe this is where having a better sense of taste comes in! At least the sauce I made was good.

Turmeric is an easy thing to use in so many ways. Do you not have it in your store cupboard? The main point of the Spice Challenge is to get us all thinking (me included) about ways to explore the uses of aromatic spices. Its all too easy to just cook with the same old things... I've learned heaps already about new things.
I heard that fresh turmeric stains everything easily. I have seen it in the shops but, knowing this, has put me off buying it. Plus wise, it is said to be a powerful antioxidant!

I heard that fresh turmeric stains everything easily. I have seen it in the shops but, knowing this, has put me off buying it. Plus wise, it is said to be a powerful antioxidant!
It certainly does! But it is wonderful - such a subtle beautiful taste. My friend's hand blender is a lovely shade of yellow (I cook at his place a lot). Keep it in the freezer and grate it into dishes from frozen - then return to the freezer.

Nothing wrong with turmeric. The amount I use, everything in my house would be yellow if it was that bad. It makes a good tooth whitener too :D

Nothing wrong with turmeric. The amount I use, everything in my house would be yellow if it was that bad. It makes a good tooth whitener too :D
So are you saying this info is false, i.e. that fresh turmeric doesn't stain chopping boards, fingers etc?

You're preaching to the choir. (About trying new spices). My wife isn't as easily inspired.

I have turmeric in the cupboard for an interesting reason. A year or so ago I was doubled over in pain one morning. It felt like broken glass stuck under my sternum, at the top of my stomach. Since I was unable to get a doctor appointment for 2 days and I had to work many hours, I looked up a possible holistic cure to that symptom. It was suggested that I might have gallstones, and a tsp of turmeric in the morning and again at night for 2 days might help break them up. It worked like a charm.

So are you saying this info is false, i.e. that fresh turmeric doesn't stain chopping boards, fingers etc?
I didn't say it was false, I just said it was not that bad. My fingers never get stained by it, and chopping boards, counter tops etc just need a wipe over with a damp sponge if any gets spilt on them.

I didn't say it was false, I just said it was not that bad. My fingers never get stained by it, and chopping boards, counter tops etc just need a wipe over with a damp sponge if any gets spilt on them.

You just need to be careful to wipe up straight away - but I have bamboo worktops and I still have a stain that won't go away! With white plastic mixer attachments it will stain them but - does it matter? Dried turmeric mixtures will also stain utensils. Its just that the fresh is more intense.

We went to a buffet. I could have saved $10 by getting there 2 minutes earlier but I was thinking it was Thursday.

Did you enjoy the food? What did you have?
I had sirloin, chicken, beef ribs, mushrooms, baked potato, a bit of shrimp. Oh and a 3 cheese bacon salad with Ceasar dressing.
I also got two hugs, one from a manager and one from the grill chef and a kiss on the cheek from our waiter when we left.

I had sirloin, chicken, beef ribs, mushrooms, baked potato, a bit of shrimp. Oh and a 3 cheese bacon salad with Ceasar dressing.
I also got two hugs, one from a manager and one from the grill chef and a kiss on the cheek from our waiter when we left.
Sounds like that may well have been worth the extra $10? Are you a regular there?

Sounds like that may well have been worth the extra $10? Are you a regular there?
Now that they have decent management again yes.
Our area has severe employee problems.
And yes it was worth the money.

By employee problems, I mean everyone is hiring especially in retail and food.
When the oilfield is going strong, all the wives go home.
To tell you how bad it is: do not call a company to complain about bad customer service. You will be offered a job. I once got offered a management job sight unseen because I complained about how a section of books was handled. I got offered the book manager job because she had left the company due to the way she wasn't doing her job. The guy I talked to said all the book sections were messed up.

It is entirely @Yorky's fault that I am cooking up a full vat of chilli.

20170506_112758.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom