What did you cook/eat today (May 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that folks eat chili with rice and even jacket potatoes but I never have. French bread (preferable), roti paratha or naan bread are my favourite accompaniments. What are yours?

I know that folks eat chili with rice and even jacket potatoes but I never have. French bread (preferable), roti paratha or naan bread are my favourite accompaniments. What are yours?
This evening we will be having it with baked potatoes and garlic bread (and a good sprinkle of cheese), the rest is going into the freezer. So when I defrost some during the working week I tend to do it with rice because it makes for a quick meal. I have also be known to spread some on a margarita pizza before cooking or top a sliced cabatta along with cheese and grill to melt. If I'm feeling really healthy I have been known to shred raw veg and serve it larb style wrapped in a lettuce leaf. I haven't done it yet, but I once saw a recipe where you put it in an oven dish and top with sliced aubergine and potato then bake. If I do it I will report back.

I've never thought of it as a laarb. I may try that in future - laarb nuea (beef) is normally raw beef here so I tend to avoid it (although I still like my beef steak very rare)

You guys should try Cincinnati style chili. That is chili on top of spaghetti, with options being to add shredded chedar cheese, raw onions, and beans.

Technically, chili con carne isn't the right kind of chili to use. The Cincinnati style is more of a thinner meat sauce, but adding the extras makes them similar.

But while chili over spaghetti is weird, it's pretty good.

I prefer my chili served in a bread bowl.

You guys should try Cincinnati style chili. That is chili on top of spaghetti, with options being to add shredded chedar cheese, raw onions, and beans.

Technically, chili con carne isn't the right kind of chili to use. The Cincinnati style is more of a thinner meat sauce, but adding the extras makes them similar.

But while chili over spaghetti is weird, it's pretty good.

I prefer my chili served in a bread bowl.
Bread bowl! That's another way I have to try it, thank you.

Chili here is typically served with crackers (saltines) and there are no beans in it. Ours is just a little thicker than Cincinnati chili. Sometimes people make a pot of pinto beans on the side.
The usual drink is beer. Note: our chili goes from mild to hot. There is even a cookbook devoted to chili.

Baked potato, TVC's chilli, cheese and garlic bread
P_20170506_175016.jpg

IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG

I went out for lunch yesterday with some friends. The restaurant was the tallest in the city and had fabulous views of the sea one side, and the Marina/city the other.

I had whitebait to start and fish cakes with mango salsa. There was also a chocolate brownie with peanut butter ice cream involved. :D.

The food was very good and it was a lovely way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Yum, to both Ms. Belles.

What is TVC chilli, m' Lula?

m' Lady, I've never heard the term whitebait before. We generally call them fingerlings, or hatchlings. This is the time of the year for them, after the Spring spawn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom