What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch - one sourdough pizza :D It was almost a marinara as I didn't have a lot of cheese left.

sourdough pizza.jpg

Camarones criollo con arroz, con pan cubano, AKA shrimp creole (cuban style) with rice, with cuban bread. This was one of my favorites in my 20s. We haven't had it in ages and I asked for it tonight.

2018-05-26 17.30.48.jpg

Last edited:
We are camping so tonight we tucked into sausages and buns with salad. Sounds simple but we had normal sausages, gluten free sausages and vegan sausages. Not enough cooked onions.

Not today but a few days ago - a bottle of New Zealand wine in the garden of Wetherspoon's in Saffron Walden. Very nice it was too @rascal!

View attachment 16351
If you ever see a bottle of sav from oyster bay, buy it, or 2 or 3. It's the bees knees. I'm a red guy but every one I know love oyster bay wines.

Russ

Mushy peas to accompany today's cod.

mushy peas s.jpg

In my best John Wayne, "Yer peas ain't lookin' too mushy there, Pilgrim."

You know, I can't recall ever having mushy peas before, although there may have been a time or two at British friends' houses where alcohol may have erased the memory.

There must be something to it since it effectively looks like baby food.Can anyone please help me understand the attraction? I love both fresh peas in the spring, and canned baby peas all year.

In my best John Wayne, "Yer peas ain't lookin' too mushy there, Pilgrim."

That image was captured just at the start of the cooking process. They were fully cooked some 90 minutes later, viz:

mushy peas 2 s.jpg

There must be something to it since it effectively looks like baby food.Can anyone please help me understand the attraction? I love both fresh peas in the spring, and canned baby peas all year.

Do you eat/like pea soup? It is effectively a thick pea soup. Cooked correctly there should be virtually no solids left (like baby food).

If I'm serving them with a meat pie then I may add some prepared mint sauce (as you may add sprigs of mint to garden peas). If I am eating them with fish and chips (as I intend to do today) then I only sprinkle over vinegar (they are already salted at the end of the cooking process).

You know, I can't recall ever having mushy peas before, although there may have been a time or two at British friends' houses where alcohol may have erased the memory.

If you've had mushy peas then it would have been evident during the night or next morning.

That image was captured just at the start of the cooking process. They were fully cooked some 90 minutes later, viz:

View attachment 16360

Do you eat/like pea soup? It is effectively a thick pea soup. Cooked correctly there should be virtually no solids left (like baby food).

If I'm serving them with a meat pie then I may add some prepared mint sauce (as you may add sprigs of mint to garden peas). If I am eating them with fish and chips (as I intend to do today) then I only sprinkle over vinegar (they are already salted at the end of the cooking process).
If you've had mushy peas then it would have been evident during the night or next morning.

Lol, I love love love pea soup. I guess I can see if it were a bit thicker, it could be a side starch in a way.

Thanks, Yorky.

Didn't have anything yesterday evening because we were still full from the cinema where we had vegan spring rolls, beer batter chips and seasoned wedges plus drinks served to us half way through the Solo film.

Tonight will be the last of the pumpkin, sweet potato and sweetcorn chowder with a little bread. I'll serve it with some protein, maybe some Lentil burgers chopped up in it, or poached eggs (poached in the soup itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom