What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That cauliflower looks beautiful!

Not cheap mind. £1.80/kg. That one was £1.15. Only half on the plate. The remainder will be the base of a masala at the weekend.

Cauliflower - Big C May s.jpg

Hamburger sliders with cheddar and bacon horsradish potato salad. There were also onions sauteed in the bacon grease for the sliders.

2018-05-11 17.49.18.jpg

Sunday is Mother's day here in the states, but since I have to work both morning and evening, AND my son has a rugby match in between, we decided to go out to celebrate tonight.

We went to one of my wife's favourite places down by the lake where we slip our boat: https://www.stmoritzgrill.com/

Once again, everything was outstanding. We started with PEI mussels in a creamy andouille sauce, then my wife had the honey balsamic glazed salmon topped with frizzled leeks, and a side of sweet potato orzo.
My boy had the tapas plate (made into a dinner serving) of shrimp and andouille over asiago cheese grits.
I had the filet mignon tips in mushroom demi-glace with chunks of artisnal blue cheese, mashed, and haricot vert.

For dessert, we had cappucinos and shared an absolutely decadent creme brulee.

We must have eaten there a dozen times by now, and we've never had a single dish that wasn't fantastic.

Sunday is Mother's day here in the states, but since I have to work both morning and evening, AND my son has a rugby match in between, we decided to go out to celebrate tonight.

We went to one of my wife's favourite places down by the lake where we slip our boat: https://www.stmoritzgrill.com/

Once again, everything was outstanding. We started with PEI mussels in a creamy andouille sauce, then my wife had the honey balsamic glazed salmon topped with frizzled leeks, and a side of sweet potato orzo.
My boy had the tapas plate (made into a dinner serving) of shrimp and andouille over asiago cheese grits.
I had the filet mignon tips in mushroom demi-glace with chunks of artisnal blue cheese, mashed, and haricot vert.

For dessert, we had cappucinos and shared an absolutely decadent creme brulee.

We must have eaten there a dozen times by now, and we've never had a single dish that wasn't fantastic.

All sounds very good. The prices seem more than reasonable - in fact (and this may be to do with the Brexit pound) they seem very good value. The oysters are about the same price but most of the other items are lower than I would find here.

Yes, it is reasonably priced. I think they make a lot of their profit on drinks. About 1/3rd of the place is a bar with its own pub menu, but it is somewhat separated from indoor and outdoor dining.

The appetizers and salads are large enough to share, but the main courses are about the right size, so you're not paying extra for a doggy bag. (Do Brits use that term, "doggy bag"? It means take-home leftovers, presumably to be fed to your dog. )

Oh, the oysters are a little pricey, but not too bad. Maybe 50c or 75c per oyster over what is common elsewhere. They only have what's in season which should actually bring the price down a bit.

Lol, that adds up when you order 3 dozen... :whistling:

Last edited:
(Do Brits use that term, "doggy bag"? It means take-home leftovers, presumably to be fed to your dog. )
Yes!

Talking of oyster prices I paid £3 each for the ones I recently had in Whitstable - they were native oysters which grow wild and taste quite different from Atlantic oysters. That meant a dozen oysters cost me £36 eye-watering pounds ($50). And I ate them all myself... :D

Last edited:
And the pot. Bubbling away.

I obtained 7 portions from that pot. Considering all the chillis that were in there and the two teaspoons of cayenne pepper, it wasn't over the top spicy.

Yum. I'm craving spicy food. It's so damn cold here.

Tonight the family is cooking a roast chicken dinner for me as it's Mothers Day but tomorrow I'm making a fried rice dish. It will be spicy.

That reminds me. I have ½ kg of cubed beef in the freezer. A beef stew sounds a good idea except that the temperature is averaging 36 degC here in the daytime. I think I shall leave it for a while.

That reminds me. I have ½ kg of cubed beef in the freezer. A beef stew sounds a good idea except that the temperature is averaging 36 degC here in the daytime. I think I shall leave it for a while.

I have considered cooking a beef madras curry but the last time that I had one was a Vesta packet meal 50 years ago and I can still taste it! :sick::sick::sick:
VESTA-CURRY-66C120132_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom