What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awfully healthy... :D

Actually, i misspoke. It was flax seeds, not sunflower seeds. Sunflower would have been better, or maybe even walnuts.

It would have been relatively bland, maybe just a little sweet from the dried cranberries, if not for the extremely tart pomegranate vinaigrette. :o_o:

delicious

20180514_173913.jpg

I’ve asked my daughter cook Swedish meatballs in cream gravy with mashed potato & steamed greens for dinner tonight.

I made & froze the meatballs a few weeks ago & have left instructions for her as she’s never cooked a cream gravy before.

I'm with Craig. I like my beer cold, gay men flaming, and my lasagna saucy.

Wait, did it get that right? Yes, phew.

nevermind.

A friend was extolling the benefits of pre-made packets of curry paste (specifically, Vermont (Japanese) pastes), and in particular that it takes no time at all to produce a meal.

Today I cooked a chicken curry and I timed the process to prove him wrong.

Preparing the sauce ingredients - 50 minutes.

Another 20 minutes to cook the basis of the sauce (onions, garlic, ginger, chillis and a little turmeric, ground coriander and ground cumin).

Liquidise, add the chopped tomatoes and simmer - another 40 minutes.

Now we have the sauce, time to cook the curry. Brown the chicken in batches (and reserve), stir fry the dried chillis and more onions and add more ground coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder and paprika - 30 minutes.

Return the sauce to the wok, add the chicken and cook for 20 minutes. Add yoghurt, fenugreek seeds and garam masala and cook for 5 more minutes.

Sprinkle over the chopped coriander leaves and there you go. Perfect chicken curry in less than 4 hours.

Piece o' pish.

Last edited:
We get a lot of ready-made curry pastes here and they really are fast. Just add the chicken to the paste, add liquid and simmer until done.

Not the same though is it?

Spending 4 hours over a hot stove in a temperature of 35 degC to produce a culinary masterpiece is certainly an achievement.

Unfortunately I couldn't be arsed eating it after and bought some Haianese chicken carry oot.

We had a series of tremendous thunder storms crash over the mountain today. We ended up losing power around 4 PM.

Since my wife refuses to light the gas (LP) stove with a match (because it's too dangerous), I ended up driving down a flooded, treacherous mountain road in the storm to pick up a pizza and mussels marinara.

Much less dangerous.

Last night. One of the recipes from the "Vegistan" cookbook. It just didn't look as pretty as in the book but we were late home from my medical appointment and given I'd had no lunch, I didn't really mind much.

3 eggs because this girl lays smaller eggs than most and weight for weight 3 of her eggs weigh the same as 2 normal sized eggs.

_20180516_122722.JPG

Swiss chard (or in our case rainbow chard) with black eyed peas.

And the followed by passionfruit and a live coconut yoghurt. And if only you could smell this photo... Hubby decided to be a child and drink the excess passionfruit liquid that had escaped of the chopping board. Oh well, he was doing the washing up!.

_20180516_122646.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom