What did you cook/eat today (November 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite fascinated by this use of lard - in the UK (and USA?) lard has gone completely out of fashion and is seen as a 'bad fat'. I guess the lard you use is not the same as the 'blocks of lard' available in the UK. But nevertheless it does look very fatty ( I am not being critical - just curious).

Oh yes I know it's only curiosity :)
I just finished reading the article and found it interesting, especially because I did not think it was out of fashion in UK (I still do not know about US or other countries).
The most famous bacon is the lard of Colonnata, in Tuscany, as rightly mentioned in the article. It is also in other regions, especially those of Northern Italy, Val d'Aosta or Trentino Alto Adige. I used one that comes from Val d' Aosta. Good but slightly salty compared to Tuscan that is soft and delicate.
The lard is everywhere, butcher, supermarket, from the most prestigious to the less. It's not a product that I use or eat often, almost never, because it's true about bad fat and the cholesterol. You have to eaten with very high moderation even if is really good. Anyway I've bought it because I had in my mind a recipe to do and I will prepare in the next few days and the lard was mentioned.
The flavor of the lard is delicate and melts in the mouth. With warm bread or warm focaccia is super, with some fresh rosemary or thyme is really great, as well as on polenta or even some risotto. Good but small doses....

2149C6D5-BF40-42F4-8AC1-BA9672D07AF9.jpeg

The dish is called “Rustic French Meatloaf” it combines pork & veal mince with blitzed chicken livers and other things. Almost like a terrine.

Served with green beans & zucchini almandine, fresh bread & salad greens with a French style dressing. A few cornichons & some Dijon mustard.

IMG_0991.JPG

Spinach, Gouda & Roasted Garlic Quiche with Hot & Sour Soup

Why hot & sour soup with quiche? Because I bought the ingredients for the soup, then got sidetracked when I saw @morning glory's excellent braised shallot & caramelised garlic tart recipe. Note that mine is a quiche, which makes it completely different from a tart. :laugh:

I decided to put diced curry leaves (because I happened to have them from my samosa recipe) and pickled ginger into the soup, and added cilantro at the last minute. Very nice, though thicker than I intended.

View attachment 11676

Why hot & sour soup with quiche? Because I bought the ingredients for the soup, then got sidetracked when I saw @morning glory's excellent braised shallot & caramelised garlic tart recipe. Note that mine is a quiche, which makes it completely different from a tart. :laugh:

I decided to put diced curry leaves (because I happened to have them from my samosa recipe) and pickled ginger into the soup, and added cilantro at the last minute. Very nice, though thicker than I intended.

Looks very delicious. And I'm also happy to see that your keyboard is healthy and save! :typing::happy:

I seem t have lost my desire to cook lately so have been making lots of omelettes and the odd roast (so the leftovers last a few days). Tonight I found a small pot of venison tagine I made the other month (for one of the challenges) and had that with rice. Lovely and warming. I also made some fairy cakes as we have people over for coffee later.

I seem t have lost my desire to cook lately so have been making lots of omelettes and the odd roast (so the leftovers last a few days).
I completely understand the feeling! I didn't make anything to speak of (aside from breakfast burritos) for the last week or so, until what I made last night. And, your omelettes - like my burritos - are likely a good sight better than what you'd get at most restaurants.

I like making big batch things so I don't need to make something new every day. Not too long ago, I started the idea of "overlapping big batch preps". That means that I make a massive amount of food one day, and freeze half of it (or more, depending on how much there is). Then, I might make another big batch a few days later and do the same thing. This way, I have some variety, and I can also take a break for a while...and wait for inspiration to hit me.

View attachment 11676

I'm so excited you were inspired by my recipe! :hyper: The spinach quiche looks delightful. The soup looks very interesting - is there a recipe for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom