What did you cook/eat today (October 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@morning glory

OOOPS!

@morning glory , @MypinchofItaly

I have never heard of Marmite. I looked it up. Now I know what it is. What does it taste like? Silly question since taste is as difficult to describe as color.

I don't know yet about the taste, it's the first time I have it. I'll let you know.
There is also the australian version "vegemite".

Last edited:
Wise words from @morning glory . It is really strong stuff.

I have also read that someone fills cakes and put it in the gravy.

Cakes?

Nice (apparently) if you add a tiny bit to the oil when making roast potatoes (apparently), or in cheese straws. I don't like the stuff. It is from a place called Burton on Trent not far from where I live and is a by-product of the beer industry.

:hyper: Vegemite. Where have I heard this? GRRRR! I can almost get it but not exactly. It is like a fly buzzing around my ear. Something about how good vegemite is for you but it was not an ad - comedy maybe.

This will drive me nuts until I figure out the reference. :banghead:

@Yorky area restaurants that serve boiled seafood (crab, crawfish and shrimp) usually provide their patrons with a plastic bib. We don't use utensils with boiled seafood - except for a small wooden mallet or "crackers" to break the crab claws.

I went to a seafood restaurant by the docks in Hong Kong in the 90s with three Chinese colleagues. We had whole steamed lobster (without utensils). The Chinese just dived in crunching the shell in their teeth and then spitting it onto the floor. I explained that I couldn't do that so the waiter was asked for a hammer. Eventually he located a small toffee hammer but by that time there was hardly any lobster left!

:laugh:
It's like when you eat spaghetti with sauce and you're wearing a stylish dress ..
We went to a dinner party one evening in the doctor's dining area at the hospital where I worked. It was much nicer than our canteen, and the hospital was the only place we knew in that area where everyone could get to. The chap opposite me dropped his fork into his spaghetti with tomato sauce. The sauce went all over my nice new pretty white blouse! I ran straight to the ladies' loo and dumped my blouse in a sink full of cold water. The stains did come out, but then I was left wearing only my skirt and underwear. Luckily one of the other women lent me her neck high cardigan.....:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom