What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Char siu again - my wife loves it...........

char sui 5 s.jpg

char sui 6 s.jpg

That was using the packet mix MG to which I referred earlier. Whatever chemicals and stuff are in it, it still produces an excellent product and I am very reluctant to change.

char sui 0 s.jpg

I drain off the excess marinade in the sink (above water to keep any interested ants at bay).

That was using the packet mix MG to which I referred earlier. Whatever chemicals and stuff are in it, it still produces an excellent product and I am very reluctant to change.

View attachment 10342
I drain off the excess marinade in the sink (above water to keep any interested ants at bay).

I don't really worry about chemicals at my age! If it tastes good then stick with it! I'm pretty sure it must have red food colouring in it though - which ironically is derived from ants.

IMG_0886.JPG

Here we have my interpretation of a Greek Salad.

Those massive purple things are beets: if you thought that they're much larger than they ought to be, you're right: this is what happens when you make your own and you start with enormous beets. I made them with more salt than typical pickled beet recipes to bring down the usual sweetness (usually, it seems that salt is used like it is in a cake recipe, for example). I added whole allspice and cloves to the brine. If you guessed from looking at this that I added so many because they're delicious, you'd be right. The dark green leaves, by the way, are beet greens.

I also made a dressing that's heavy on the garlic and basil (my two favorite things in Greek dressings). One day, I'll present this with homemade feta cheese, but not this time.

Today lunch is boiled carrots, griddled aubergine's slices, spinach and buttered fennels. No bread. A very light meal (On Sunday I'll do a 10 km marathon and I need to purify me).
I'm alone for lunch today. And I like it a lot! Silent and relax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom