What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a stew of roasted aubergine, peppers and courgettes with butter beans in a tomato/red wine sauce (served with some crusty bread). That was for the vegetarian/vegan contingent. I also made Boeuf Bourguignon - of which, more will be posted tomorrow.

20170917_160648.jpg

I like the addition of the scrubbed new potato chips! It looks lovely.
It tasted lovely too - really sweet and juicy, and I'd rather have decent chips than bread.

WP_20170917_21_29_13_Pro.jpg

I have to admit, I did put the tiniest amount of coarse sea salt on them. I've been all aches and pains since I took the mutt out yesterday, and the salt seems to have made an improvement. The mutt didn't miss out - he had a couple of small chips (minus salt), a bit of lettuce, and the apple cores (minus the pips, of course).

The way I make eggy bread is to beat up an egg in a shallow bowl. Then submerge a slice of bread. Then fry on both sides. One egg will do two slices. I used to find it a handy snack when I had two hungry children but only one egg left!

I like it with brown sauce.
I like it with maple syrup, or apple syrup if I have some in the fridge. I buy the maple, but make my own apple syrup by boiling down apple cider. The house smells so good on a cool winter day with apple scenting the air.

Have you ever made overnight French toast? It's great if you have company, or you want to have a special breakfast without early morning work, or you're lazy. I make it because of Option Three. :giggle: And it's yummy.

Another seafood day around here - as opposed to a see-food day. :wink: Our salads were Caprese'd up, but on a full bed of greens (romaine and baby spinach). We also had baked schrod with seasoned bread crumbs, boxed mix rice with cheese and wee bits of broccoli, and real, steamed broccoli. After two days of what my Mom always called "brain food", I'm feeling smarter already. Well, OK, maybe not...
20170917_213457.jpg

Bacon, poached eggs and fried bread (fried in the bacon fat):

bacon egg fried bread 2 s.jpg

baked schrod with seasoned bread crumbs, boxed mix rice with cheese and wee bits of broccoli, and real, steamed broccoli.

I had to look up schrod as I have not come across it. I don't think we use that word here. It turns out to be cod which is split and flattened(at least that is what one definition stated).

Bean sprouts (sprouted seeds?) - in this case sprouts from soya beans I think. I often sprout beans (and peas/lentils). Its easy! just soak them in water and place on a windowsill in a saucer. I haven't tried soya beans but I have some in the cupboard so I will have a go. Here are some I made earlier (a mix of peas and urid dhal).

View attachment 10429

Thank you for the translation

It sounds like you earned it! Well done for the cycle ride. How do you make eggy bread and what do you have with it (if anything)?

My guess is that eggy bread=French toast.

Mmmm, French toast. Haven't had that for a while. Must get Challah bread...

The way I make eggy bread is to beat up an egg in a shallow bowl. Then submerge a slice of bread. Then fry on both sides. One egg will do two slices. I used to find it a handy snack when I had two hungry children but only one egg left!

I like it with brown sauce.

... of course there is a sweet version with cinnamon and sugar. I am not sure which version @Kake Lover had. But it sounds as if she earned it!

I like it with maple syrup, or apple syrup if I have some in the fridge. I buy the maple, but make my own apple syrup by boiling down apple cider. The house smells so good on a cool winter day with apple scenting the air.

Have you ever made overnight French toast? It's great if you have company, or you want to have a special breakfast without early morning work, or you're lazy. I make it because of Option Three. :giggle: And it's yummy.

Does that simply mean soaking it overnight?

I make it the same way as @morning glory .

I beat the egg in a flat square oven dish because it's easier to then dip in all the bread at once, turn them over after a minute, let it soak then put them all in to a large shallow frying pan. If I'm making lots then I'll start the next egg while the first batch are cooking. It's popular with my family so it's usually eaten as soon as it's ready. I usually cut it into triangles because you can fit more in the frying pan that way. I also get about 2 large slices out of one egg. But you can't be stingy with the egg or it's just fried bread.

My favourite would be eaten with bacon, but I didn't have any in.
A rather special variation is to make it with Marmite sandwiches.
My mum used to eggy fry any kind of left over sandwiches after a picnic.
I tried it with sugar once to see what all the fuss was about but I didn't think it enhanced the experience at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom