What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to look up schrod as I have not come across it. I don't think we use that word here. It turns out to be cod which is split and flattened(at least that is what one definition stated).
Over here "schrod" defines the size more than the fish, but not exactly. Just "schrod" means small fillets of cod. We had "haddock schrod", so it was small fillets of haddock. No matter what it's called, it was fresh and good.

Does that simply mean soaking it overnight?
It's more of a casserole, with the bread angled into a baking dish like shingles. Then you mix your egg/cream/sugar/spices/nuts - whatever kind of custard you want your bread to be bathed in. Assemble at night, cover with plastic film or aluminum foil, and pop into the refrigerator. In the morning, take it out of the fridge and pre-heat the oven while you perform your morning routine, then bake it for about half an hour or so. Once done, cut pieces out of the serving dish, top however you want it (powdered sugar, a syrup of some type, a warm fruit compote, fresh berries and whipped cream...the options are limitless), and enjoy. It is very rich, but it keeps well. You can portion-control it for a few days, if you're a strong person.

I've done a mash-up of several recipes when I've made it. I'll try to compose something lucid later and start a thread. Right now I have to get to the grocery store if we're to have my intended meal for supper.

It's more of a casserole, with the bread angled into a baking dish like shingles. Then you mix your egg/cream/sugar/spices/nuts - whatever kind of custard you want your bread to be bathed in. Assemble at night, cover with plastic film or aluminum foil, and pop into the refrigerator. In the morning, take it out of the fridge and pre-heat the oven while you perform your morning routine, then bake it for about half an hour or so. Once done, cut pieces out of the serving dish, top however you want it (powdered sugar, a syrup of some type, a warm fruit compote, fresh berries and whipped cream...the options are limitless), and enjoy. It is very rich, but it keeps well. You can portion-control it for a few days, if you're a strong person.

I've done a mash-up of several recipes when I've made it. I'll try to compose something lucid later and start a thread. Right now I have to get to the grocery store if we're to have my intended meal for supper.

Now that sounds to me to be very similar to a Bread and Butter Pudding!

Bread-and-butter-pudding1.jpg

Dinner tonight was a tomato and onion omelette with basil, parsley and black pepper, served up with a mixed leaf and pecan nut salad, and a jacket potato with lashings of butter. Yes! No chips! Admitted the potato was done in the microwave, but it was a large Marfona potato, so all nice and fluffy inside. Afters was semolina with a big dollop of home made Seville marmalade.

Dinner tonight was a tomato and onion omelette with basil, parsley and black pepper, served up with a mixed leaf and pecan nut salad, and a jacket potato with lashings of butter. Yes! No chips! Admitted the potato was done in the microwave, but it was a large Marfona potato, so all nice and fluffy inside. Afters was semolina with a big dollop of home made Seville marmalade.

I am also having an omelette - with left over potato and peas into which I'm putting a little garam masala, turmeric and chilli - so, an Indian omelette. My early morning snack/dinner. Now you have mentioned tomatoes I may add some too. :happy:

I had plans for dinner. Then the lonely widower who's Jeep was parked next to my car started talking. And talking. He REALLY needed someone to talk to. I listened. So now today's dinner plans are my plans for tomorrow's dinner. Instead, we had carry-out pizza tonight.

I am also having an omelette - with left over potato and peas into which I'm putting a little garam masala, turmeric and chilli - so, an Indian omelette. My early morning snack/dinner. Now you have mentioned tomatoes I may add some too. :happy:

When I worked in Jakarta in 2008, I was operating most of the time out of a hotel. Because it was up to me what hours I worked, I would start at 04:00 and break for breakfast at 08:00 in the dining room. I don't believe that I varied from omelette any day, although they differed in content usually. I enjoyed them.

When I worked in Jakarta in 2008, I was operating most of the time out of a hotel. Because it was up to me what hours I worked, I would start at 04:00 and break for breakfast at 08:00 in the dining room. I don't believe that I varied from omelette any day, although they differed in content usually. I enjoyed them.
I never used to like omelette at all until one day I made one myself. No looking back after that!

Completely off topic but toward the end of my contract in Jakarta, it was apparent that my task would be completed by the Thursday evening therefore I booked a flight home on the Friday. Unfortunately at Thursday lunchtime the fire alarm was activated and the hotel was evacuated because of a fire in the kitchen. By the time the six fire trucks had sorted what was not a major problem J had lost 6 hours and had to work half the night to complete the job.

I met a few of the kitchen staff though....

cooks in jakarta.jpg

Not a "what did I eat" but more of a "where did I eat". This past weekend there was a food and wine festival in downtown Detroit. We got unlimited sampling of food from local restaurants, and (theoretically) a limited amount of beer and wine, though regulating it was up to the vendors in the booth (we were supposed to have no more than 10 of the samples, but some didn't check them off).

Below, we have - in order - Graham Elliott, Martha Stewart, and a view of the crowd near some of the booths. As you can guess from the pictures, the weather was perfect (about 75 degrees F).

IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0887a.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom