What did you cook or eat today (December 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be honest part of me want’s to try this and the other part thinks it will be waaay too strong.
Was there anything else in the pot with the chicken before the other ingredients went in? Any butter or stock? I just can’t imagine it needing reducing much with all those strong flavours already going in?
Just a little oil and butter to help brown the chicken. They are strong flavours, is why I always have it with plenty of white rice.

Chicken Kiev, bought locally, with roast potatoes.

Cooked s.jpg

Cookedpotatoes s.jpg

So we had a meal out last night.

It's a vegetarian/vegan restaurant that does a tasting menu and that's what we had. Some of the items on the tasting menu get swapped out with the main menu for the dairy free vegan version, but you'll get the idea as to what most of the items are from the menu.

An excellent meal out!

It's a vegetarian/vegan restaurant that does a tasting menu and that's what we had. Some of the items on the tasting menu get swapped out with the main menu for the dairy free vegan version, but you'll get the idea as to what most of the items are from the menu.

Hmmmm, "Beet" and "chili" with one "L" on the menu. Have you possibly eaten <gasp> American vegan food? :eek:

On a serious note, I've heard nothing but good things about corn ribs. They look good. What did you think of them?

I would actually at least try all of the things you ordered. :okay: I don't think I have ever had anything seasoned with za'atar, but I've never found it in any stores near me. There is a Middle-Eastern store in Dallas that I used to go to for breads, but haven't been there in a while.

CD

Last edited:
On a serious note, I've heard nothing but good things about corn ribs. They look good. What did you think of them?
Absolutely excellent. And very tasty. It will depend a lot on the seasoning used.

Hubby wants me to make some, but I've told him he needs to look at my BBQ, I'm getting flames coming out of one of the burners on the wrong side of the burner...

Hmmmm, "Beet" and "chili" with one "L" on the menu. Have you possibly eaten <gasp> American vegan food? :eek:

Nah, just Australian 😆

I would actually at least try all of the things you ordered. :okay: I don't think I have ever had anything seasoned with za'atar, but I've never found it in any stores near me. There is a Middle-Eastern store in Dallas that I used to go to for breads, but haven't been there in a while.

CD
Kroger near you may be carrying it now:

IMG_7176.jpeg

I got some there, I’ve used it once…didn’t hate it, but didn’t love it.

SatNavSaysStraightOn - that meal is a visual feast!

An excellent meal out!

Corn looks amazing

Russ

Kroger near you may be carrying it now:

View attachment 108612

SatNavSaysStraightOn - that meal is a visual feast!
The place is always packed out and its a hotel restaurant so isn't small. Reservations only and its always full.

I love the fact that they get such a varied patronage. People turn up and you 'judge' without really realising it and think to yourself how unlikely they are to be eating vegetarian but then half the menu is also vegan and people don't bat an eye over it and thoroughly enjoy the meal. The tasting menu for example is 50% vegan by default, as is the A La Carte menu.

Za'atar is a blend of herbs and spices and sesame seeds. Similar in concept to garam masala, so depending on the blend you'll not always like it. Hunt around for a recipe online and make your own. It will be better. You'll just need sumac. That's the fruity part of the blend and key.

Typically it combines oregano, sumac, sesame seeds, marjoram and thyme, other times it combines thyme &/ oregano &/ marjoram along with sesame seeds, sumac, cumin and/or coriander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom