What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
substituting plain yoghurt for béchamel
I continue to find that yogurt is more than just a second-choice substitute for mayonnaise or cream: it's sometimes a better alternative for more than just health reasons. It does change the flavor, but the slight tang that yogurt provides works incredibly well in many situations. The fact that well-known dishes (like Tikka Masala) rely on yogurt shouldn't be a surprise, but I do continue to be pleasantly surprised.

I continue to find that yogurt is more than just a second-choice substitute for mayonnaise or cream: it's sometimes a better alternative for more than just health reasons. It does change the flavor, but the slight tang that yogurt provides works incredibly well in many situations. The fact that well-known dishes (like Tikka Masala) rely on yogurt shouldn't be a surprise, but I do continue to be pleasantly surprised.

If substituting for mayo I add a good dollop of French mustard (you could use American style mustard) and sometimes a pinch of sugar or Truvia. Maybe a pinch of salt.

For some reason the yoghurt and spinach with a little cheese and sweet baby tomatoes worked very well in the Egg Florentine. Much better than I thought. Maybe because the egg is creamy tasting...

Another version of vegan burger - this time with soya mince and jackfruit and a ton of spices - topped with French's mustard, tomato, dill pickled cucumber and vegan sour cream:

fullsizeoutput_3713.jpeg

We visited Cajun country tonight. Last of the crawfish until next season, made into etouffe, used as a filling for hand pies that were deep fried. Side is Cajun potato salad. Hand pies aren't that pretty but by the time I got everything done, even with Craig helping, I just wanted to be done with it and put my feet up.

2018-07-18 19.22.36.jpg

Another version of vegan burger - this time with soya mince and jackfruit and a ton of spices - topped with French's mustard, tomato, dill pickled cucumber and vegan sour cream:

View attachment 17488

my wife is a fan of jack fruit. I don't much care for it.

What I really want to say is. That is a beautiful photo of a burger. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom