What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am. Again. :dance: I had to adapt the recipe so it’s not really authentic. Plus the fact that it tasted pretty awful - even the hotel cats didn’t like it.

Oh OK. When you get back then. I'd hate to be on holiday now. Its too hot in Maidstone let alone abroad. Well OK - I'd like to be on holiday somewhere cool.

A terrifying N.W. Thai red curry with noodles and grass. My wife cooked and ate it. It was very late and I'd had a few.

Thai red curry s.jpg

Craig ate leftover manicotti. I finally ate a kraft EZ mac, not feeling right and not very hungry, though I did just have a little ice cream..

Elevenses - Salsa and nacho chips.

served 1 s.jpg

Italian Veal, Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook, Mary Berry.
Veal, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, oil, butter, flour, white wine, chicken stock, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper.

I would give this 22 out of 30.

What classifies a recipe as vintage? The book this comes from was published from 1970 to at least 1977.

DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0117.jpg

Italian Veal, Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook, Mary Berry.
Veal, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, oil, butter, flour, white wine, chicken stock, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper.

I would give this 22 out of 30.

What classifies a recipe as vintage? The book this comes from was published from 1970 to at least 1977.

View attachment 17517 View attachment 17518

It looks good. A lot of vintage recipes are very lacking in herbs and spices I find. That is possibly a post wars thing in the UK. Recipes from earlier periods used spices much more.

There isn't really a precise definition of vintage - anything older than 40 years maybe? I'm fascinated by old cookery books. They are becoming harder to find. I was thinking of doing a vintage recipes challenge. Maybe for the next prize challenge.

Last edited:
I made for a second time a bulgogi dish this one was called Dwaeji Bulgogi (Pork in Fire) w/ snow peas lightly sautéed and aged basmati rice. Turned out great as did the last one but I found some gochujang paste so this time I could make a gochujang sauce to accompany it which finished the dish better than my last one that I used a substitute to make the sauce.

dae_ji_bool_gog_2i.jpg

I made for a second time a bulgogi dish this one was called Dwaeji Bulgogi (Pork in Fire) w/ snow peas lightly sautéed and aged basmati rice. Turned out great as did the last one but I found some gochujang paste so this time I could make a gochujang sauce to accompany it which finished the dish better than my last one that I used a substitute to make the sauce.

This looks so tasty.

aged basmati rice.

I've never heard of that. What does it mean? How is it 'aged'?

This looks so tasty.

I've never heard of that. What does it mean? How is it 'aged'?

I will look into that for you, it was a gift, yes people gift me cooking food now. I found this should explain it better than I could. I use it because I find it a fluffier, better tasting basmati, but that is just my two cents as I am just learning all about rice varieties. Have not used many but I am trying to learn so I can use a few varieties/types of rice.

I will look into that for you, it was a gift, yes people gift me cooking food now. I found this should explain it better than I could. I use it because I find it a fluffier, better tasting basmati, but that is just my two cents as I am just learning all about rice varieties. Have not used many but I am trying to learn so I can use a few varieties/types of rice.

Thanks for the link. I see that we are talking a couple of years ageing. I was imagining ancient vintage rice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom