What Unusual (i.e. "Necessary") Cooking Gadgets Do You Have?

.I bought this a few years ago at a yard sale. I don't know what in the heck to do with it
-stovetop-roaster-grill-terra-clay-hinge-gourmet-bakeware-italy-f26e09f1dd35e82bbef2293a55c8f63d.jpg
I can't quite read the words etched in a circle around it....can you? If so, have you tried googling it? You just show the underside here - is it earthenware/terracotta on the other side too? It must be for use on the hob else the handle would be all metal.

(I originally type 'for use on the job'.....
558648.gif
s & m?
blush.gif
)

For mashing with potatoes usually. And for topping pizzas. For cheese on toast etc., I usually slice it.

It's a Yorkshire phrase.
Yeah..I know..we fart around things here in Canada, also..:happy:

Similar to this manner, I have discovered that it is possible to make a small, strong (i.e. more concentrated) cheese sauce (quite thick) - which I like to have on toast! (A bit like a more liquidy cheese spread).

Finely slice about a small handful of cheese and add to a non stick pan with just some milk (a few tablespoons). I add cayenne pepper too to further bring out the taste of the cheese. Then, on the lowest heat, stir until all is melted and incorporated. It is really tasty!

When you write "on toast" do you mean as filling the toasted bread or as cover of the toast?

When you write "on toast" do you mean as filling the toasted bread or as cover of the toast?
As a cover. Us Brits it all manner of things 'on toast'.
I can't quite read the words etched in a circle around it....can you? If so, have you tried googling it? You just show the underside here - is it earthenware/terracotta on the other side too? It must be for use on the hob else the handle would be all metal.

(I originally type 'for use on the job'.....
558648.gif
s & m?
blush.gif
)

I PM'd @Rocklobster as did a bit of research. The pan is a La Cotta (or La Bisquera) and is a cooking implement from Italy made from volcanic rocks that promises to remove fats and harsh acids. It claims to transform economic cuts of meat to create a tenderness and flavour that would only be achieved through slow cooking... if you google La Cotta you will see.

I PM'd @Rocklobster as did a bit of research. The pan is a La Cotta (or La Bisquera) and is a cooking implement from Italy made from volcanic rocks that promises to remove fats and harsh acids. It claims to transform economic cuts of meat to create a tenderness and flavour that would only be achieved through slow cooking... if you google La Cotta you will see.

Wow, that's new also for me..maybe is used in the South of Italy for the volcanoes presence (Stromboli and Etna in Sicilia and Vesuvio in Napoli)..

Ah La Cotta! I read it as la cutta and drew a blank with a google search.

Yes I have found the link but it does not say whether or not to put oil in the pan....no oil? I don't really like the idea of cooking on volcanic rock much, do you? Anyway, now Rocklobster is better informed, we await to find out if it's good!

Yes I have found the link but it does not say whether or not to put oil in the pan....no oil? I don't really like the idea of cooking on volcanic rock much, do you? Anyway, now Rocklobster is better informed, we await to find out if it's good!

You don't use any oil! Dry pan..

Oh My, I read it as la Cutta too!! but this doesn't change the result...I didn't know neither of them :happy:
Anyway, thanks @morning glory !

Back
Top Bottom