What Unusual (i.e. "Necessary") Cooking Gadgets Do You Have?

@Yorky, I think you could easily make simple flatbread (like the one I made here). It is simply flour, salt, water mixed into a ball then rolled out. That's it! No kneading or anything else.

It should be OK for standard loves but it won't make naan bread or pizza bases for you. It might be possible to get it to mix. knead and prove the dough and then you can remove it to shape it by hand and bake in the oven. I may be wrong, but the last time I looked at a breadmaker this was the case!

It does make dough for pizza bases - I know because he has brought some for me in the past that was mixed and kneaded in the self same breadmaker. I'm happy to use his breadmaker "on trial" before I shell out on one of my own (if).

However, there is a downside. When he delivered the said breadmaker, he stayed for a few beers. OK, that's not a problem but 15 minutes after he left another mate arrived who also stayed for a few beers and now it's almost 6 o'clock and I'm half fishcaked!

And the breadmaker is not out of its box yet!

Oh, sure ypu can make naan in it. Really little ones. Just make the dough, heat the unit and slap them to the insides...:drink:

Whatever I do it will be a cock up. Which is why I haven't opened the box yet!

Oh, sure ypu can make naan in it. Really little ones. Just make the dough, heat the unit and slap them to the insides...:drink:

In England, I used to have a stainless steel tandoor (purchased from India). The first time I used it, it almost caused a kitchen fire. My wife binned it the following day.

In England, I used to have a stainless steel tandoor (purchased from India). The first time I used it, it almost caused a kitchen fire. My wife binned it the following day.

The chicken was very good but the naan did not stick to the lid and fell off. And it would not re-stick to the lid however many times I tried.

Oh! So you mean let the machine make and prove the dough, then take it out and shape it, then slap it to the inside. Does that really work?

We tried to make a tandoor using an upside down clay flour pot on a fire pit. We cut the bottom off using a hack saw. Up at my brothers cabin. It worked ok..but, it was the sort of thing that would be better with a bit of practice. The next morning we discovered that it had cracked in half...

Oh! So you mean let the machine make and prove the dough, then take it out and shape it, then slap it to the inside. Does that really work?

My idea was that you allow the machine to make the dough and then "slap it" on to a griddle (or none stick pan).

I shall report on the success of that when (hopefully) I am sober tomorrow and can open the box!

OMG, no. I was only kidding around. They would be teeny little naans, like silver dollar pancake sized.

And only cooked on one side.

I could see myself or Yorky trying it after a few dozen beers, though.

Rock is probably in his kitchen trying it right now...

OMG, no. I was only kidding around. They would be teeny little naans, like silver dollar pancake sized.

And only cooked on one side.

I could see myself or Yorky trying it after a few dozen beers, though.

Rock is probably in his kitchen trying it right now...

Sorry - I am taking things too seriously! :laugh:

It should be OK for standard loves but it won't make naan bread or pizza bases for you. It might be possible to get it to mix. knead and prove the dough and then you can remove it to shape it by hand and bake in the oven. I may be wrong, but the last time I looked at a breadmaker this was the case!
If it has a dough feature, you can make any kind of bread dough in it. Especially if it has yeast in it.

It does make dough for pizza bases - I know because he has brought some for me in the past that was mixed and kneaded in the self same breadmaker. I'm happy to use his breadmaker "on trial" before I shell out on one of my own (if).

However, there is a downside. When he delivered the said breadmaker, he stayed for a few beers. OK, that's not a problem but 15 minutes after he left another mate arrived who also stayed for a few beers and now it's almost 6 o'clock and I'm half fishcaked!

And the breadmaker is not out of its box yet!
Easy remember, liquid first, then salt, then flour and any other dry ingredients, then the yeast. Then press appropriate buttons however many times as needed.
Just make sure salt and sugar don't touch.
Warm not scalding liquid.

When I finally recover it from the box I shall make a photographic record of my progress (good or bad).

When I finally recover it from the box I shall make a photographic record of my progress (good or bad).
I think I might be more interested in the photographic record of the drinking bouts that preceded you opening the box! :cheers::pics:

Sounds like you had a good time!
rolleyespink.gif

Back
Top Bottom