When was the last time you ate an egg?

This is the way I make coddled eggs - the other method, in a ramekin. See my recipe here: Eggs en Cocotte with Marmite Butter

DSCF3110.jpg

Both my wife and I really like these although the egg yolk is solid. I must try them in the halogen oven - maybe I'll get a soft yolk?

Baked eggs in ham cups.....

bakedeggham.jpg

OK I found your recipe: 200 degC for 15 - 20 minutes.
I'm cooking mine for: 180 degC 12 -15 minutes - in a bain marie (water in a baking tin)

Last edited:
This is the way I make coddled eggs - the other method, in a ramekin. See my recipe here: Eggs en Cocotte with Marmite Butter

View attachment 5935
Well coddling eggs involves cooking them in water on a low heat.

En cocotte is, as I am sure you realise, baking the egg. It's also a nice method of eating eggs!

I have a recipe (not tried) for placing some double cream over each egg topped with a sliver of ham before baking.

Although the above recipe coddles them in a pan on top of the stove. Basically it does more or less the same thing, I think. Old egg coddlers were little ramekin type things into which the egg is broken.

My Mum always used to have coddled eggs. She did them in a pan on the top of the stove in an egg coddler like this

egg coddler.jpg

I never liked coddled eggs though. They were either too runny or, if left for a bit longer, too cold for my liking.

I last had eggs on Wednesday, when I had two with my dinner. On average I eat one a day, as well as ones I use in cooking. I have been known to use 4 or 5 in one day. I usually buy a dozen organic eggs for eating and a dozen free range eggs for cooking every fortnight. The sponge cake I made a few days ago had 4 eggs in it. The mutt has eggs too but not quite so often - he usually ends up with the egg shells from my boiled eggs as there is always some egg left inside them.

My Mum always used to have coddled eggs. She did them in a pan on the top of the stove in an egg coddler like this

View attachment 5938

I never liked coddled eggs though. They were either too runny or, if left for a bit longer, too cold for my liking.

I last had eggs on Wednesday, when I had two with my dinner. On average I eat one a day, as well as ones I use in cooking. I have been known to use 4 or 5 in one day. I usually buy a dozen organic eggs for eating and a dozen free range eggs for cooking every fortnight. The sponge cake I made a few days ago had 4 eggs in it. The mutt has eggs too but not quite so often - he usually ends up with the egg shells from my boiled eggs as there is always some egg left inside them.
Yes I can imagine using a proper egg coddler could be hit and miss.

Have you tried the egg coddling method I describe in my post # 15 on page 1 though? It is a gently soft boiled egg but the egg whites are softer and the method is guaranteed not to be too runny or cold. I forgot to mention that the eggs are at room temperature but hope that goes without saying.

Mystery cheese?
It was...white. Sometimes I forget to save the name label when re-wrapping what is left after I open a package. This one was probably Gouda by appearance and mild taste. At least it wasn't unintentionally moldy.

...I never liked coddled eggs though. They were either too runny or, if left for a bit longer, too cold for my liking...
Runny eggs - ew. Not a fan at all, in spite of years of being encouraged to learn to like them by first my Mom and then my hubby. However, I did have a set of coddlers like that, only with blue flowers. I got them from an aunt when she was cleaning out some of her old things before a move. They did look pretty on the top of my stove, but that was their only use in my kitchen. I then moved them along to someone else before we made a big move.

Yes I can imagine using a proper egg coddler could be hit and miss.

Have you tried the egg coddling method I describe in my post # 15 on page 1 though? It is a gently soft boiled egg but the egg whites are softer and the method is guaranteed not to be too runny or cold. I forgot to mention that the eggs are at room temperature but hope that goes without saying.
Tried that too, and left them for 5 minutes but still not quite to my taste. Think I'll have to experiment to get the timing right.

Back
Top Bottom