Your Photos

Pit was 2 X 44 gallon drums welded together end to end. Try to find a pic

Russ
You'd have liked the set-up at my last place. Behind the pizza oven was a BBQ pit which could be fan assisted if needed! Think air vents in bed of wood burning pit. It was awesome. Sad we needed to move.

It's a whole pig minus the back legs, my butcher boned it out and wrapped around the pole. I was feeding a set number so my butcher boned and attached it to the pole that went through the centre. It was unbelievable. I used a Tongan way of basting, pineapple juice and butter alternatively.

Russ

Oh, it looks like Lub Lub from the movie Mom And Dad Save The World.
lublub.jpg

Pit was 2 X 44 gallon drums welded together end to end. Try to find a pic

Back in the mid 70s we were constructing a 36" diameter steel pipeline in the south west of Scotland. Any offcuts less than 2 metres long were considered scrap and the ditching boss decided to construct a barbecue from an offcut. The problem was that the wall thickness of the pipe was ½" which made it extremely heavy. Two very strong lads were required solely to lift the lid!

Back in the mid 70s we were constructing a 36" diameter steel pipeline in the south west of Scotland. Any offcuts less than 2 metres long were considered scrap and the ditching boss decided to construct a barbecue from an offcut. The problem was that the wall thickness of the pipe was ½" which made it extremely heavy. Two very strong lads were required solely to lift the lid!

This is the first model,that my customer loaned me, they have 3, but the other 2.were booked. The top end has a motor with a gearbox that turns it over, gas fired I used a temp probe each end and cooked at around 160c.
I've only had pork this good once before, my Tongan friend did it and turned by hand over open fire on the ground. We took turns at turning the willow pole. My arms ached for days. I like the motor method.

Russ

A day out in Dundee: the first shot is taken from the train as we cross the Tay Bridge. Nice and sunny. The original rail bridge collapsed in 1879, one of our worst rail disasters. One slightly disconcerting element comes if you sit on the left side of the train going back south. From there, you can see the struts from the old bridge still sticking out of the water, right next to where the current bridge is.

Picture 079.jpg

Dundee has had quite a bad reputation in recent years. For a long time, it was famous the three Js; jute, jam and journalism. More recently, certain wags have claimed the letter now stands for junkies, jaikies and joyriders. However, Dundee has been re-inventing itself as something of a cultural centre. These are some pictures of the McManus Museum and Gallery. It's rather a fine museum, with an interesting and eclectic collection.

Picture 082.jpg
Picture 084.jpg
Picture 086.jpg

The city centre has some attractive buildings and a nice little tram that sells coffee (I was not taking a photo of you, madam, so please don't look so grumpy)
Picture 085.jpg
Picture 080.jpg
Picture 081.jpg

Dundee is known as the City of Discovery (a bit of marketing 'cleverness' that covers the ship of that name and the sense that the place might surprise a few people). HMS Discovery was a Royal Research ship, used for Antarctic expeditions. Anoraks may like to know that it was the last traditional wooden three-masted ship to be built in Britain. It resides in Dundee, the city in which it was built.

Picture 087.jpg
Picture 088.jpg
Picture 089.jpg

If the Tay bridge is road and rail, I've been over it and remember the old parts sticking out of the water. Dundee was nice too from memory.

Russ

The road and rail bridges across the Tay are separate. The road bridge was built in 1966 and was a toll bridge until quite recently, but is now free. There was a ferry crossing for many years, as well as a railway line from Tayport to Dundee, but these closed after the road bridge was opened.

Back
Top Bottom