Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
11:55 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
This was made here mid-autumn 2018. I had an overabundance of parsley in my herb garden. I mean a serious SERIOUS over abundance. What could I do?

Tabbouleh.

tabbouleh-served.jpg

Since this was the end here for locally grown heirloom tomatoes, I used those instead of supermarket roma tomatoes, but the roma tomatoes will be less “wet” and are often preferred.

Prep Time: About 10 minutes, done while Bulgar is soaking.
“Cook” Time: Bulgar in hot water, 35-45 minutes.
Rest Time: Allow flavors to marry or at least get friendly, for at least an hour.
Serves: 4-6, depending on use.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Leftovers: Yes!

Tabbouleh

• 1/2 cup Bulgar wheat
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 medium tomato (or 2 small roma tomatoes), diced. Remove the ends, of course.
  • 1/2-2/3 cup chopped parsley, removing larger stems. Pack this down in the measuring cup, and 2/3 cup is preferred.
  • 1/8 cup chopped mint, more or less.
  • 2 scallions, chopped. Chop the white part at 1/8th inch, but let the greens go longer.
  • Juice of one lime (sub half or so of a lemon if desired)
  • 2.5 – 3 tablespoonsful of good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • Optional: Half an English cucumber, diced.
  • Freshly ground pepper, and sea salt (or pink Himalayan salt) to taste.

Heat up the water, pour it over the bulger wheat in a large bowl. Mix until all is wet, then cover and leave on the counter for 35-45 minutes.

During this time, chop up the rest of the ingredients.

Check to be sure the water has been absorbed by the Bulgar wheat, then drop in all the rest of the ingredients. Start with 1/4 teaspoon salt, you can add more later when you know how all these ingredients work together. Stir.

Refrigerate (covered) for at least an hour. You can make a day ahead, and still have leftovers for a few days after. If needed, at this point add more salt or pepper.

tabbouleh-harvest.jpg

Harvesting parsley, 2018!

Back
Top Bottom