Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

back-in-my-day-flintstone-vitamins_o_2228353.webp

This isn't "retro", but it is something that's discontinued. As the saying goes, it's sometimes better to ask for forgiveness later than ask for permission beforehand. So, I'm listing it.

Two things that generally never go together in a sentence for me are:
  • "I"
  • "want to get something from McDonalds"
But, for too brief of time, this happened when they had this on the menu:

mcdonalds-steak-and-egg-burrito.jpg

The steak was actually good, and the portions were generous. And, only $1.50 a burrito! That was back in the olden days when people drove to work and stopped for breakfast on the way. I stopped for these quite a few times.

They are unavailable now due to tepid sales. And, you can see why if you see what's side-by-side with the steak burrito on the breakfast menu...the sausage burrito:

DUptCn8V4AA1Vj8.jpg

I can see people pulling up to the drive through, and thinking "I can save 50 cents if I get the sausage burrito. Nice try, McDonalds. You're not ripping me off today!"

But, much as I like sausage and egg, and everything that's supposed to be in the burrito, it's not as gloriously stuffed as the above picture shows. It really looks more like this:

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

But, you don't know that until you're done paying.

I really think McDonalds didn't push the steak burrito very hard...it certainly had to cost more to make. And, I don't know if I saw any advertisements other than happening to see it when I went through the drive through one time. As a disclaimer, I was sometimes sent to get food for other people, so I did occasionally go. When I did, I always bought just a coffee. They do have good coffee.

Last edited:
I miss Heinz curried beans which (although they are still available under a new name) has a changed recipe with the sultanas removed. Of course, the original and the new recipe bear no relationship to real curry (just as tinned ravioli bears no relationship to Italian pasta). They are things unto themselves!

They are things unto themselves!
You have me laughing, because I must have this argument with people once a week IRL, and I'm always saying this. For example:

"You can't judge a Big Mac against a gourmet burger made from the highest quality beef, topped with garden-fresh fixings and homemade condiments on a fresh-baked bun! Most days, I'd still take the Big Mac! Why?! Because a Big Mac IS A THING UNTO ITSELF!!!"

:laugh:

You have me laughing, because I must have this argument with people once a week IRL, and I'm always saying this. For example:

"You can't judge a Big Mac against a gourmet burger made from the highest quality beef, topped with garden-fresh fixings and homemade condiments on a fresh-baked bun! Most days, I'd still take the Big Mac! Why?! Because a Big Mac IS A THING UNTO ITSELF!!!"

:laugh:
It's that god-awful sauce that makes me cringe. If I were to order a Big Mac (which I haven't eaten since probably 1976), I would have them leave off the sauce. And that would make it a 1/4 pounder with cheese, I think. So that "thing unto itself" can keep it's sauce unto itself, LOL :laugh:

It's that god-awful sauce that makes me cringe. If I were to order a Big Mac (which I haven't eaten since probably 1976), I would have them leave off the sauce. And that would make it a 1/4 pounder with cheese, I think. So that "thing unto itself" can keep it's sauce unto itself, LOL :laugh:

I didn't realize A&W is making another go at this. I posted in the ground meat thread about how the 1/3 pound burger failed because people didn't realize 1/3 pound is more than 1/4 pound. So, they're apparently playing on that. Now, people will probably see the picture and think that the 1/4 pounder being higher up means that it's better. :laugh:

aw-burger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom