Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

Odd.
I always remember S&V as being light blue, and C&O, green. Prawn : pink. Smoky bacon: brownish. Straight: blue.
I remember cheese & onion being blue when I was growing up (80's) and could eat them. It was the only colour I liked.
Salt & vinegar were green, ready salted were red, I can't recall what pink were because I never ate tthem.i also recall a brown as well, again I didn't eat them, so likely the pink and brown were meat/fish flavours.

But I've not looked at them for a very long time now. I hate the taste of salt, so don't eat those and vinegar doesn't get on with my tongue, so don't eat those either.

I tried all sorts of retro stuff when I was in the UK. No spaghetti/ravioli in a tin, of course, and no Vesta curries; mostly chocolates, biscuits, sweets. Anything "Cadbury's" was absolutely gross. Far too much sugar, far too little chocolate, and the chocolate that was there must have been about 10% cacao. Thank you, corporate vultures 👹
I tried Milky Bar and that was great. I bought McVitie's Digestive - great. I tried Bisto Gravy - meuh - but I hadn't had gravy in over 45 years.

I recently watched a video and learned that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups date back to 1928, and Oreo's date back to 1912! :ohmy:

CD

Last edited:
Odd.
I always remember S&V as being light blue, and C&O, green. Prawn : pink. Smoky bacon: brownish. Straight: blue.
I was probably delusional...

Lay's doesn't do prawn or cheese and onion in the US. Our salt and vinegar is blue, and our sour cream and onion is green...

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 6.13.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 6.16.11 PM.png

CD

I paid my way through college by working at Little Caesar's. No, I didn't get paid $50/hour...I made minimum wage, which was $3.35 back then. It cost $45.75 per credit hour in 1984 to attend Eastern Michigan University; it's $608 per credit hour today. That means I paid $135 for a standard 3-credit class, vs $1824 for that same class today.

This is relatively cheap as Universities go these days. At the University of Michigan, the average annual fee for tuition is $58,386.38.

I went to classes in the morning in college, and my job at a camera store in the afternoon and on weekends. The first two summers, I worked pipeline construction (BIG money for 1980, if you were okay with the dangers).

That won't cut it, today. A college education like mine is too much money, now. My exact degree path would be $6,539.53 per semester just for tuition today.

CD

Well, I think they have the colours the wrong way round too but I also know they never changed them:

Walkers | FAQs | Brands & Flavours.
Ah so they didn’t technically swap them around it’s just every other manufacturer (golden wonder hula hoops etc etc) had and some still do have cheese and onion as green. Which probably explains why I still pick out green walkers thinking they’re cheese and onion now.

I think green seems more of a cheese an onion colour though. Onions will always be associated with green in my mind so I guess I’m destined to always end up with a sour face when I’ve accidentally opened salt and vinegar 😂

I went to classes in the morning in college, and my job at a camera store in the afternoon and on weekends. The first two summers, I worked pipeline construction (BIG money for 1980, if you were okay with the dangers).

I first worked pipeline construction in 1969 and then for the next 16 years (give or take a few spells on motorway construction). Then pipeline precommissioning until I finally retired in 2008.

15 years later I still miss it.

I first worked pipeline construction in 1969 and then for the next 16 years (give or take a few spells on motorway construction). Then pipeline precommissioning until I finally retired in 2008.

15 years later I still miss it.

When I say, "worked pipeline construction," I mean down in the trenches with the pipelines. Two summers of that was enough for me. Especially after I was almost buried alive. My good friend who worked with me owns the company, now.

CD

Yep. I'd go for that! The sour cream & onion are greenish, and the salt & vinegar, blue. Strange that we associate certain colours with certain flavours.

Back
Top Bottom