Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

I bought some cinnamon sugar graham crackers last week. I haven't had them for decades. Much cheaper than cookies, and just as good.

CD

I went to South Carolina in November and had a Moon Pie. I hadn't eaten one in 45 years. It wasn't like I remembered. I didn't eat much of it before chucking it into the trash bin.

Moon Pies are originally from Tennessee. It's a round chocolate-covered graham cracker cookie with marshmallow filling. I used to love them.

Welcome to MoonPie Online | MoonPie
single-decker-moonpie.png

I went to South Carolina in November and had a Moon Pie. I hadn't eaten one in 45 years. It wasn't like I remembered. I didn't eat much of it before chucking it into the trash bin.

Moon Pies are originally from Tennessee. It's a round chocolate-covered graham cracker cookie with marshmallow filling. I used to love them.

Welcome to MoonPie Online | MoonPie
View attachment 95634
I love the banana ones, but haven’t had one in probably 20 years.

I love the banana ones, but haven’t had one in probably 20 years.
I never tried the banana ones, hmmm.

I'm just wondering if they changed some of the ingredients to a lesser standard of quality that compromised the flavor and texture or if my tastes just changed?

Maybe it's like old movies viewed as a child that seemed so great back then, some things should just be left in the past, lol. I remember how I loved "The Omega Man" and seveal other movies as a child and told my husband how great they were (he's younger than I by 6 years snd never saw them), then rewatched them with him several years back. Very underwhelming.

Funny, he never had a Moon Pie before either but after watching me eat it, he didn't want to try it.

I'm just wondering if they changed some of the ingredients to a lesser standard of quality that compromised the flavor and texture or if my tastes just changed?
Probably a little of both.

When I was a kid, the only time we got moon pies was on driving vacations south. Dad liked them, so somewhere between Lexington and Memphis, he’d buy a box, and I was allowed to have one, so that was part of what made them so delicious.

Occasionally, they’ll do specialty flavors, like butterscotch and orange. I like both of those, and of course, I can buy them at any number of places these days, from my local Walmart to the gas station convenience up around the corner from the house.

I remember how I loved "The Omega Man" and seveal other movies as a child
I love “The Omega Man!” It’s one of my favorite movies. I watch it a couple of times a year. I like Heston’s groovy velvet wardrobe in that one.

Of all the movie adaptations of the book “I Am Legend,” it’s my favorite one.

Probably a little of both.

When I was a kid, the only time we got moon pies was on driving vacations south. Dad liked them, so somewhere between Lexington and Memphis, he’d buy a box, and I was allowed to have one, so that was part of what made them so delicious.

Occasionally, they’ll do specialty flavors, like butterscotch and orange. I like both of those, and of course, I can buy them at any number of places these days, from my local Walmart to the gas station convenience up around the corner from the house.

I love “The Omega Man!” It’s one of my favorite movies. I watch it a couple of times a year. I like Heston’s groovy velvet wardrobe in that one.

Of all the movie adaptations of the book “I Am Legend,” it’s my favorite one.
Charlton Heston and William Shatner are two actors well-known for their theatrical over-acting styles. I loved CH in "Soylent Green" and the "Planet of fhe Apes" movies too.

Next time I go south I'm gonna look for banana Moon Pies. And butterscotch sounds divine!

Maybe I need a cold glass of milk for dunking? That chocolate one was dry and chalky.

Maybe I need a cold glass of milk for dunking? That chocolate one was dry and chalky.
I think part of the charm of moon pies is they’ll choke you if you’re not drinking something with them.

You have to know, though…the almost-mandated-by-law beverage to have with a moon pie is…RC Cola!

RC Cola and MoonPies Are a Classic Southern Match

There’s even a song about it:

View: https://youtu.be/loamVbAOsPo

And you can even buy them together from Amazon:

Amazon.com: MoonPie RC Cola Redneck 6-Pack : Grocery & Gourmet Food

You've all read my mind!! I'm having a cheeseburger tonight! Bought these 2 cheese melters. Gave one to a friend. I'm keeping the other one for melting the cheese on burgers. Maybe I'll make some fries & cut them up with THIS!! :whistling:
French Fry Cutter..jpg
:whistling:
Melting Domes..jpg
Cheap & flimsy French Fry Cutter..jpg

Last edited:
I think part of the charm of moon pies is they’ll choke you if you’re not drinking something with them.

You have to know, though…the almost-mandated-by-law beverage to have with a moon pie is…RC Cola!

RC Cola and MoonPies Are a Classic Southern Match

There’s even a song about it:

View: https://youtu.be/loamVbAOsPo

And you can even buy them together from Amazon:

Amazon.com: MoonPie RC Cola Redneck 6-Pack : Grocery & Gourmet Food
I remember when all sodas came in glass bottles, i loved the little glass bottles in the vending machines at filling stations when i was a kid. But, I never liked RC Cola. I was a Fanta orange or grape soda girl, that and Coca-Cola. And of course root beer from the A&W Drive-in restaurants in the frosty mugs. They had the best rootbeer floats.

I really got turned off by RC Cola when I handled their recall last year. I had 72 cases (12 pack cans) jn my garage and I had to destroy them all. There was a quality issue with the soda. Apparently on this particular day of production they had an issue with the water filtration system and the soda had a sulfuric, rotten egg odor (I'm assuming it tasted worse). I had 5 gallon buckets in the garage and opened each can and poured the soda into it and hubby took it to the sewer drain by the street and dumped them. Repeat. The smell was ghastly. If I didn't like it before I certainly never will after that!

i loved the little glass bottles in the vending machines at filling stations when i was a kid.
My favorite style of vending machine was the chest style, where you lift the lid and the bottle are suspended by the neck. I think they were also the style most prone to jamming, though, and eating your money!

Back
Top Bottom