Any ‘Retro’ Food You Miss?

Moon pies.

I know they still make them but its a southern thing mostly. I haven't seen them in 23 years, which is how long I've been in Ohio.

Moon pies.

I know they still make them but its a southern thing mostly. I haven't seen them in 23 years, which is how long I've been in Ohio.
I can get those right in town here at Big Lots.

Mr. Doughnut. They had a cherry cake doughnut and a French cruller that I loved.

I guess any retro foods to me that I miss would be something you're not used to where you are. I can't think of that many either, most are still available under different brand names that have switched over the years.

I do miss Milky way, which are different from American milky way. They were just a soft nougat bar with chocolate around them here. No caramel layer on top of the nougat, those bars are called 'Mars' here. They still sell Mars, but Milky way no longer.

And a type of licorice made with Arabic gum (the highest quality ingredient for licorice) that was discontinued years ago due to only distinguished consumers liking them due to it's specific flavor. I still miss that, it was the best licorice ever. I can't even find a picture of it because it's been so long. It was called 'Venco Darq'.

Yes, that's it!
Like everything else, when I was a kid, that was the only Three Musketeers bar there was. Nowadays, though, they come in a variety, with the nougat being mint, strawberry, or something concocted in a lab…birthday cake flavor.

Like everything else, when I was a kid, that was the only Three Musketeers bar there was. Nowadays, though, they come in a variety, with the nougat being mint, strawberry, or something concocted in a lab…birthday cake flavor.
You would love our stores then. They rarely change anything because the Dutch are so conservative.. I had never seen fruit flavor filling in chocolate ( except orange) until I lived in the UK. Now I yearn for Thorntons strawberry cream filled chocolate, which is unavailable here in any way..
I can get Quality street, but that filling is not the same.

Maybe one of our UK members can send me some? I'll gladly pay.

Last edited:
Moon pies.

I haven't thought about them in a long time, but I see that they have them available at Walmart, at least the ones near me; maybe the southern roots of the store are why they have them.

b-c96988c22eb5_2.c016710d352c0bb7477e49d294c557801.png

It also seems like this would be a fun recipe to make, if you can't get them near you.

I haven't thought about them in a long time, but I see that they have them available at Walmart, at least the ones near me; maybe the southern roots of the store are why they have them.

View attachment 87083

It also seems like this would be a fun recipe to make, if you can't get them near you.
Well to be honest, I've not thought about them much either and haven't looked for them. But it wouldn't be right without a cold glass bottle of Fanta orange or grape soda to go with. Remember filling stations had vending machines with glass bottles of soda back in the day?

I just thought about the marathon bar, a twisty chocolate-covered caramel bar. And look....a coupon for a free one! Now, I just need to get that time machine working so I can use it:

View attachment 87086
I can get those about 10 minutes from my house. There’s a place that sells all those little bagged snacks you see at truck stops, like root beer barrels and sesame sticks…they have a nostalgia candy section and they have Marathon bars there.

For our UK friends…that’s our version of a Curly-Wurly!

I can get those about 10 minutes from my house. There’s a place that sells all those little bagged snacks you see at truck stops, like root beer barrels and sesame sticks…they have a nostalgia candy section and they have Marathon bars there.

For our UK friends…that’s our version of a Curly-Wurly!
Too bad they aren't 15 cents anymore!

While I was looking up the marathon bar, I noticed another one that I forgot...the Reggie Bar. This was made for/by retired baseball superstar Reggie Jackson. The combination of caramel, chocolate, and peanuts was really great:

img_3881-1.jpg

There seem to have been quite a few superstar athletes (at least in the States) that get talked into having their likeness on a candy. Miguel Cabrera - the soon-to-be Hall of Fame Detroit Tiger player - had a candy that I really liked, partly because it launched with 4 different flavors.

maxresdefault.jpg

They debuted in 2017, and I don't think I can get them anymore. There was a lawsuit by investors against Cabrera in 2019 because it didn't deliver the returns they were expecting. I imagine that happens quite a lot. I think the Reggie bar did quite well, but there are a lot of others that come and go.

Back
Top Bottom